What do I do with all the......

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
MIL wears incontinence pads (tena) I hope I am allowed to say the word. They are delivered every couple of months. I have been putting them into the general disposal bin like the district nurse told me. What happens when I am inundated with them as we only have the bins emptied every other week..........oh and the smell............

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
I have this problem too, 1954. I put them in separate black bags and store them in the garden shed. I put disinfectant dustbin powder in the bags to offset the smell a bit. I am afraid it is a nasty problem. I end up with about 7 heavy black bags to put out each week. I don't put them in with the general rubbish otherwise I'd get a whiff every time I emptied rubbish. It's going to be a bit of a problem in winter when I have to take them outside in the cold!

MIL wears incontinence pads (tena) I hope I am allowed to say the word. They are delivered every couple of months. I have been putting them into the general disposal bin like the district nurse told me. What happens when I am inundated with them as we only have the bins emptied every other week..........oh and the smell............

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
You could phone the council and see if they can supply you with a bigger or extra bin,

Jeany x

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
I have this problem too, 1954. I put them in separate black bags and store them in the garden shed. I put disinfectant dustbin powder in the bags to offset the smell a bit. I am afraid it is a nasty problem. I end up with about 7 heavy black bags to put out each week. I don't put them in with the general rubbish otherwise I'd get a whiff every time I emptied rubbish. It's going to be a bit of a problem in winter when I have to take them outside in the cold!

That's also a good idea except our sheds are full of everything!

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
You could phone the council and see if they can supply you with a bigger or extra bin,

Jeany x

We could try but the wheelie bin is large anyway. We have so much rubbish since MIL has lived with us that we can hardly believe it AND we have recycling bins for food waste (not much of that) and garden rubbish, tins and foil, bottles and paper. 5 bins in all!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
As Grannie G said double bag them, you can also get sealable sanitised bags if double bagging doesn't work.

It can also help to roll the pads up tightly with the waterproof surface on the outside before bagging them.

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
I will try the double bagging them. I wondered at what point one is supplied with yellow bags and a special collection.........you know like the yellow bags that are in hospitals

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
As Grannie G said double bag them, you can also get sealable sanitised bags if double bagging doesn't work.

It can also help to roll the pads up tightly with the waterproof surface on the outside before bagging them.

Brilliant a bit like I do with sanitary towels!

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Friends have a 360 litre bin but I think they are for over 5 people living in the house

the usual one is 240 and the small one is 140

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
" I wondered at what point one is supplied with yellow bags and a special collection.........you know like the yellow bags that are in hospitals"

A neighbouring LA does, the problem is that you don't get an extra bin, just the yellow bags, collection time is erratic which leads to problems with dogs, cats, foxes,...

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
" I wondered at what point one is supplied with yellow bags and a special collection.........you know like the yellow bags that are in hospitals"

A neighbouring LA does, the problem is that you don't get an extra bin, just the yellow bags, collection time is erratic which leads to problems with dogs, cats, foxes,...

Oh my gosh I could not cope with that as we have a huge problem with foxes, they will be all over the road etc (not the foxes but the incontinence pads!)

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
I've long forgotten about sanitary towels (thank goodness)! The trouble is the sanitised bags you can get for them are small and Mum's nappies are BIG!! I put them in swing-bin liner first then in the black bag. We don't have wheelie bins but we put our ordinary rubbish in black bags and then in plastic dustbins we bought from a local ironmonger so that they don't get attacked by foxes. You could purchase one of these bins (if you don't mind having another) just to put the pads in.

My brother put "Mum's" bags out (just her nappies in) the night before rubbish collection day (against my advice) but the foxes didn't touch them. Perhaps they're smarter than we think.

Last edited:

cobden28

Jan 31, 2012
Do you have a garden incinerator, of the type normally used for burning garden rubbish? Perhaps if you have the type that looks like a metal dustbin but with a series of holes in the bottom and a flue in the lid, you could actually burn your Mum's Tena pants? Perhaps with some other household/garden rubbish if you don't want the neighbours to know what it is that you're burning?

Shash7677

Sep 15, 2012
Nuneaton, warwickshire
Sorry if this seems to come way over from left field but have you ever heard of a nappy wrapper?

It's a bin that you put a cassette I suppose you would call it in the top that contains bags, you put the nappy in, close the lid, give it a twist, the nappy is wrapped and it remains in the bin, the next nappy you do the same. They come out like a string of sausages. I thought of this as it would be small enough to keep in the garage/shed and would stop your wheelie bin smelling. You may have to empty it before 2 weeks are up but if they are in scented bags and then in a bin bag they shouldn't smell too much.

The Tenna would fit in the bags I'm sure you can buy them in m**hercare or have a look online.

Sharon

littlegem

Nov 11, 2010
north Wales
Our council gives us a yellow bin, (just a bit smaller than the black bins) and orange bags for clinical waste. They collect every week and leave more bags.
Is it worth you phoning the council to see if they do anything like that?

To be honest I got fed up of waiting for a yellow bin so I bought my own off web, that's just me being impatient though.
xx

Linda Mc

Jul 3, 2005
Nr Mold
Yes ring local council in our area you are given another bin marked in yellow and yellow bags and they are collected weekly. They should have a contaminated waste collection service.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Morrison the supermarket does a pedal bin liner with is about the right size, 80on a roll for 90p. Ours live on the bathroom window sill.

The £ shops do a scented variation but they are a bit flimsier

Our yellow bag is collected weekly too. It might be environmental services you need - its county council anyway.

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
Sorry if this seems to come way over from left field but have you ever heard of a nappy wrapper?

It's a bin that you put a cassette I suppose you would call it in the top that contains bags, you put the nappy in, close the lid, give it a twist, the nappy is wrapped and it remains in the bin, the next nappy you do the same. They come out like a string of sausages. I thought of this as it would be small enough to keep in the garage/shed and would stop your wheelie bin smelling. You may have to empty it before 2 weeks are up but if they are in scented bags and then in a bin bag they shouldn't smell too much.

The Tenna would fit in the bags I'm sure you can buy them in m**hercare or have a look online.

Sharon

crying out loud do I eat them if they come out like sausages :eek: No I have never heard of them but can look into that too, thank you

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kathy T