What did our mums or dads do?

dottyd

Jan 22, 2011
n.e.
We had. A thread where people described their jobs/ occupations but I wondered if anyone wanted to show off their mums or dads.

Don't worry..home maker is a very skilled occupation as is domestic engineer.

My mum was a home maker for most of her adult life but before getting married she was a legal secretary, worked in the offices of a big department store that would be house of Fraser today.

After a very long spell of domestic engineering she ended up managing a betting shop where her mathematical skills were put to good use. If anyone remembers an each way flag bet ....well mum could work out a winning one of those without a calculator.

She then went back to college to brush up her typing and shorthand and worked in a government department for a couple of years before giving up work to help me with my babies.....and to keep my dads face straight lol...as he never liked her working.

Dad took early retirement at about aged 58 to 60 as he died prematurely at 70 so they enjoyed their life together.

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
My grandparent's were farmers, I hate worms, I think the farming gene skipped a generation. :)

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
my dad was a precision engineer. He was a jig borer - he drilled holes to very precise measurements in various metals. He did a five year apprenticeship with Sir George Godfrey & Partners and then managed to be the first person to stay on there straight after the apprenticeship. He worked for WVGs in Brentford, Bracknell Precision Engineers, Iver Precision Engineers and when there were no manufacturing jobs left he worked at Asda for several years.

He made parts for Concorde, missiles, space missions, motor racing and others. He worked nights for 25 years and then came out of his shell a bit when he had to interact more with shoppers!

My mum worked for Macfarlane Lang on the Great West Road as a finance clerk, then as a finance clerk at other places. She did piecework at home when the children were young (making up felt kits for other people to sew e.g. toy snakes, dogs etc) and then worked at Asda as a merchandiser for Findus and Chambourcy for 8 years. She also worked at a shop called the Spud Centre - they only sold spuds and eggs in bulk. Then she worked for the Thames Valley Primary Care Agency for over 20 years as a VDU operator. They deal with doctors surgeries and medical records etc.

Her parents were from farming stock in Whelpley Hill near Chesham/Amersham. Don't know what work dad's side did except that we think his stepdad was a spy, as he was so secretive about what he did and never talked about it - he did jobs like gardening although he seemed to be a very curiously educated man. In his retirement he would just read around hundreds of different subjects to gain knowledge about them. He wasn't sent away to fight in WW2 either so he must have been doing something which meant he could stay at home.

Last edited:

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
When he was young my dad worked for his dad who was a undertaker he made coffins.
then he was in the army during the war, he then started work at the local colliery as a joiner he made pit props and put them in place down the mine, he mended the tubs and trollies that the pit ponies and men pulled,
He was 50 when he got a job doing carpentry at Durham university and cathedral I can remember he brought a tiny bit of disintegrating centuries old flag in a matchbox for me and my brother and sister to see,
He took ill and died of asbestosis and lung cancer when I was 17 he was 54, the asbestos he used in his joinery and carpentry jobs over the years had done unseen damage,
He never drank,but smoked as I think most mine workers did in there spare time,

His weekends were spent working in the garden growing vegetables for us, making furniture out of wood, mending or washing the car or taking us for trips out on the moors or to the seaside, he was a lovely family man, never showed his feelings but adored my mam and us three children you didn't need words to see that ,

My mam had rheumatic fever when she was young and had a weak heart all her life, she never worked but did a good job of looking after us all and never complained, my dad looked after her well and we didn't dare back answer or upset her or we would be in trouble, she lived for my dad and died 6 years after him age 57 ,

I am sorry I got carried away there but I don't often get a chance to talk about my mam and dad and never really grieved properly for them. this has brought back happy and sad memories,

Last edited:

Dill

Feb 26, 2011
England
Hi
Mum was a nurse, in Acton. Dad worked for Min. of Defence.
Just seen Jeanys post about her Dad. Mum was evacuated to Bishop Auckland during the war to her Aunt and Uncle. Sometimes in the evenings they would walk down to their friend who was an undertaker. On one occasion she was asked if she would like to lie in one of the coffins, she was too shy to say no! :D
My ancestors on Mum's side were all coal miners from County Durham.
Dill

TaraP

Jun 4, 2013
My dad and motorbikes

What a great idea! My dad used to race motorbikes as a profession. He was a rider in the 1st Suzuki works team, and raced all over Europe, japan, USA. Similar to the Moto GP now! One story - A pal of his was in 1st place in a race, and my dad 2nd. The pal crashed and he was on fire, my dad dragged him away and tried to put him out (similar to the Nikki Lauder story). When dad rode back to the pits, he got told off for stopping and helping, as he could have won the race. His pal survived, but later committed suicide. Dad worked with bikes for many years after he retired from racing. They called my dad 'the gentleman racer'. Now he wears nappies - what a terrible illness. But at least he had a great life!!

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
My Mum and Dad were Fruiterers and Florists. Dad once made a floral tribute for the Queen on a Royal visit. Mum married the boss, having worked for him since she was 15.Dad took over from his Dad who took over from one of the many brothers (14 siblings all told!). He'd gambled all his money away so Grandpa took the business over. Their Dad was a water boatman on the Tyne.
Mum's dad was the Superintendant of Gateshead Cemetary. Rather ironically, when he died in the middle of winter, his grave was too short and we had to hold the service and leave the coffin topside until the hole was enlarged!!:eek::eek:
One of these days I'll get round to paying my fees so that I can look the rest of them up!

dottyd

Jan 22, 2011
n.e.
When he was young my dad worked for his dad who was a undertaker he made coffins.
then he was in the army during the war, he then started work at the local colliery as a joiner he made pit props and put them in place down the mine, he mended the tubs and trollies that the pit ponies and men pulled,
He was 50 when he got a job doing carpentry at Durham university and cathedral I can remember he brought a tiny bit of disintegrating centuries old flag in a matchbox for me and my brother and sister to see,
He took ill and died of asbestosis and lung cancer when I was 17 he was 54, the asbestos he used in his joinery and carpentry jobs over the years had done unseen damage,
He never drank,but smoked as I think most mine workers did in there spare time,

His weekends were spent working in the garden growing vegetables for us, making furniture out of wood, mending or washing the car or taking us for trips out on the moors or to the seaside, he was a lovely family man, never showed his feelings but adored my mam and us three children you didn't need words to see that ,

My mam had rheumatic fever when she was young and had a weak heart all her life, she never worked but did a good job of looking after us all and never complained, my dad looked after her well and we didn't dare back answer or upset her or we would be in trouble, she lived for my dad and died 6 years after him age 57 ,

I am sorry I got carried away there but I don't often get a chance to talk about my mam and dad and never really grieved properly for them. this has brought back happy and sad memories,

Awwww! My friend had rheumatic fever and passed away aged 62 a few weeks ago also having heart problems all her life.
This is a fascinating topic. Hope more will come along to share.

dottyd

Jan 22, 2011
n.e.
My dad was a policeman in Birmingham when I was born. We then emigrated to Southern Africa when I was two, and Dad worked in the British Protectorate of Bechuanaland (now Botswana) on the mine police for several years, in Randfontein, Francistown, and Gaberones (now Gaborone, the capital of Botswana). During that period we had servants - a cook/houseboy, a garden boy and I had a nanny. This, I think, is what gave my Mum 'ideas above her station'! Mum always worked when I was growing up, usually in offices. When I was 7, Dad left the police force and decided he wanted to be a lawyer, and we moved to Johannesburg. Unfortunately it didn't work out that way as Dad found that struggled to learn Afrikaans as well as all the studying to become a lawyer. We then left SA and came back to the UK, where he worked in the Public Trustee Office in London. Again Mum had an office job. After about a year, Dad become a Solicitor's Managing clerk (or Legal Executive as they are now called) with a firm of Solicitors in Croydon, where he stayed until he retired. he then started up a little business as a Legal Costs draftsman and worked from home, until his late onset diabetes started to severely affect his health. he died from complications of this in 2003, at age 77.

After all her varied office jobs, Mum became a Hearing Aid Consultant while we were living in Croydon, and managed a hearing aid shop for many years, becoming victim to 'constructive dismissal' eventually, after the company was taken over by another firm (they decided that she was paid too much, cut her wages and she resigned). She then worked on a local newspaper in the Classifieds section for a while, before retiring, and helping Dad with his little business.

Mum is almost 87 and now has dementia! She always worked, kept her brain active, and we always said that she was the last person we would expect to get dementia! It just goes to show that this vile disease is totally indiscriminate, and keeping your brain active isn't always a safeguard against it.

Too true. Interesting lives all the same.

My aunt and uncle went to joburg . They only came back because their son came back to the uk.

They didn't want the family split up. My uncle passed away in his mid 80 s with all his faculties leaving my aunt with dementia....the family curse. All the Jen have gone before, leaving the sisters on their own.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Awwww! My friend had rheumatic fever and passed away aged 62 a few weeks ago also having heart problems all her life.
This is a fascinating topic. Hope more will come along to share.

Yes this is so interesting I have really enjoyed reading it :)

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Two coincidences.....@Pip. My sister currently resides in Gaborone, although her home is in Cape Town, South Africa.:)
@ dotty.....My Mum has had a heart problem all my life and longer. Every time she is asked " When did you have Rheumatic Fever?" she replies " never". It's just that her condition is typical in RF sufferers!:)

This foum keeps throwing up these coincidences.:D

kingmidas1962

Jun 10, 2012
South Gloucs
My dad started and finished his working life in the same company - he started on an engineering apprenticeship and finished as the personnel manager! This was in an engineering company.

In the last few years before retirement he was demoted to personnel 'officer' when the company brought in a younger man - he was totally demoralised - he was incredibly diligent and devoted to the company who he felt then betrayed him, to some extent. He had an issue with Spondylitis in his neck, caused by being at a desk all the time - and through all the contacts he'd made while he was at work was lucky enough to know a very influential GP, who got him early retirement on what was called 'job release' and he was basically pensioned off on the grounds of ill health ... although it has to be said that from the day he left he never, ever complained about the neck pains again:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: when he left he was awarded some kind of token of his service (a clock or something, I think) and it went in the wardrobe and he never looked at it again. He was disgusted by how they had treated him. He did, however, really bounce back in retirement and had never been happier!

Mum had MANY jobs. Before my brother and I came along she was a tailoress - she made everything from mens suits to firefighters outfits which meant her working in a kind of 'oxygen tent' because they contained asbestos. Mostly her jobs fitted in (more or less) with our childcare - she used to go cleaning and I remember going with her during school holidays to a massive bungalow nearby where I was fascinated by all the incredible knick knacks - the owner had a huge collection of glassware and very sensibly I was allowed nowhere near it!

She also worked in catering, in a fruit and veg shop, newsagents, cafe and lastly she was a pharmacy assistant. She stayed in that job till she retired but then did voluntary work in a hospital cafe and charity shop as she 'got bored'. She carried on working until she was 84 and dads care became too hard to manage.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Until I was 7, dad had the village garage and mum the village shop. I couldn't get away with a thing!
Mum was keen on music, played chapel organ for years, sang in various choirs. Dad was speedway rider for local club, travelled all over country ( the story is that I attended my first meet when I was 6 weeks old. Screamed a lot and spent most of the time in the arms of a friendly policeman! ) He also represented the county at clay pigeon shooting. I am sure he has early signs of dementia by the time he was 45!

carpe diem

Nov 16, 2011
Bristol
mum.jpg
This is my mum on the right, she was a midwife and nurse.

dalmation lady

Feb 3, 2014
My father was a teacher for all of his working life. Ended up as a Department Head in a college. Taught physics biology and chemistry
Now he suffers with this terrible disease and doesn't even know what day of the week it is. So sad

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
My mother was Wren during the war, and after that, trained to be a teacher. Ended up as a headmistress. My father was an engineer, was in the Navy during the war, worked on submarine engines, and stayed an engineer, finally ending up at what was called a technical college.

jellyfish

Apr 30, 2014
West Midlands
My nan worked at a tailors in Walsall and on her first day burnt the bosses new suit with a steam press of some description. She must have been forgiven as she worked there for many years and she often used to titter to herself about it although she said it wasn't funny at the time :eek:xxx

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Great thread :)

My dad was an amateur boxer before WW2, reaching the national finals. He fought in the forgotten war in the Far East for six years in special operations, then returned to marry his wartime sweetheart (my mum). He worked as an electrician and over time became one of the first computer engineers. I remember we had a phone and a car well before most of our friends and family, because he was 'on call' for when the early payroll and similar computers went down. He always told me I had a 'logical brain' and should go into IT - of course, I didn't listen! :rolleyes:

My mum was a post office telegrapher in Birmingham. She volunteered to work in London during the blitz and was billeted in an underground shelter. Once married she commenced a life of love and care for her family and for everyone she met. She was an absolute star, taking in cousins when they were in trouble and looking after elderly relatives including her own mother, who lived a couple of hundred yards from us.

I was 21 when dad first fell seriously ill, and mum nursed him devotedly for the following thirty years, enabling him to continue to work until he retired early at 60. The following month they became grandparents and that was the start of more love, care ....and fun :D Dad lived a fairly full life until he passed on at the age of 81.

Obviously there's much more that I could say....it's probably obvious that I love and adore my parents to this day :)

Thanks for such a brilliant thread :) :)

Lindy xx

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sujokealma