What can i say to her?

Gill66

Oct 31, 2010
It's me again. I have just spent half an hour on the phone to Mum (well I actually spent most of it listening to what was going on in her flat because she walks away in mid conversation). She seems to think she has 7 people in her flat tonight and one of them is me!!!! I could actually hear her holding a one-sided conversation with me and several other people.
Now she's on the phone again telling me a man is breaking into her bedroom. What can I say to her????

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
How would she react if you said 'I'll call the police' - if that does not work, maybe you have to ring emergency Social Services (the number should be in phone book).

If you do that please explain that this is not a one off, but that you are now desperate too.

I wish I could offer more.

Gill66

Oct 31, 2010
Thanks Jan
She has been threatening to call the police herself and I have been trying to talk her out of it, so I don't think that will work. I imagine her reaction will be something along the lines of 'About time'!!
Emergency Social Services sounds like a good option. I am just sitting here waiting for the phone to ring again. I know it will and she will be asking me to go over there. She's only 15 miles away but i am worried that, having gone over there last night, if I go tonight she will expect me to do it all the time.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
I agree about your resistence to visit again. I hope the emergency services can help you - make sure you sound truly desperate!

Jancis

Jun 30, 2010
Hampshire
It is very hard to advise you but I would be tempted to use this "semi-crisis situation?" to involve social services and if you cannot get hold of them then try the emergency services. No-one will blame you for the depth of your concern and it might help move matters forward.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Gill

I don`t know about what you can say to her, but what can you do for her.
I find the thought of a delusional or hallucinating dementia sufferer alone at home distressing. There are things worse than residential care.
Sorry Gill. I have no wish to add to your worries but do you feel your mum is safe at home alone?

Gill66

Oct 31, 2010
Hi Sylvia
I also find it distressing and do not believe she is safe at home on her own any more, but I know that if I try to tackle the topic of residential care she will go balistic and probably never talk to me again. I don't think she is quite ready for that. I am thinking about seeing if I can get her night carers for now to give us all peace of mind and the opportunity for a night's sleep.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`m sorry Gill, I have just read your other Thread and seen your mother hasn`t even had a diagnosis yet. How worrying for you.

I suggest you try to contact your mother`s consultant tomorrow and ask for an emergency appointment. If your mother refuses to go, ask the consultant for a home visit. She needs an assessment as soon as possible and should not have to wait for appointments and results of tests to come though.

Suggest to the consultant you feel your mother is at risk. That is the buzz term which will result in action being taken.

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
Hi Sylvia
I also find it distressing and do not believe she is safe at home on her own any more, but I know that if I try to tackle the topic of residential care she will go balistic and probably never talk to me again. I don't think she is quite ready for that. I am thinking about seeing if I can get her night carers for now to give us all peace of mind and the opportunity for a night's sleep.

I'm sorry to say that your mum will probably never be ready - sad to say, the decision will almost certainly have to be taken for her because she will lack the insight and capacity to make it herself.

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
We are experiencing exactly the same situation with my mother right now and she also lives alone. She is of the view that she is sharing the house with my father, her brother, and her parents. Until recently she had just spoken about them being there - not quite sure if it was a dream or not. Now however things have changed and she has starting to act upon what is her "reality". My sister visited her to find my father's suit hanging up in the lounge - she'd put it there for him to take away with him next time he visits. She had also removed a considerable sum of money from the bank to pay my father for doing her garden for her.

It all came to a head the week before last, when she thought my father had locked her in the house and gone away down south with the keys. So she phoned the police! I had a phonecall from a lovely police officer who asked if I knew where my father was as they had just had to force entry into the house. He was rather surprised when I said he and the other people "living" there had been dead for 10+ years. Even more surprised when the missing keys were sitting on the chair next to my mother. He did however deal with theh situation in a lovely manner so much so that my mother's recollection of the whole thing was that she had been selected to be taken out for the day by a policeman !

Upshot was that the police took her for an immediate assessment to see if she was ok to stay in the house herself that night and they then wrote a report to her Dr saying that she was considered to be a vulnerable adult who is "at risk". Last week, she had a visit from 2 doctors and a CPN (more attention than she's had for past 4 years!) and they have persuaded her to join them 3 days a week for next 6-8 weeks at a local day care/assessment centre. She has agreed to go as she thinks that they are going to be staking out her house looking for my father to appear again, whilst she's in daycare!

Maybe you should let the police be contacted - it might expedite things a lot quicker than conventional means.

Fi