What are the stages of dementia? How will I know when it's time to move my mum to a c

Margi29

Oct 31, 2016
Yorkshire
I think it's time for a care home when

for whatever reason(s), the carer(s) can't cope any more

And/or
The person isn't safe to be left alone at all any more.

Others may think differently, of course,

I don't think there's much point in discussing either the diagnosis or care homes with your mother. People with dementia are often unable to understand that there's anything wrong with them - they can't remember that they can't remember anything, if that makes sense.
And hardly anyone, with or without dementia, will say they are happy to go into a care home. It's often the case that you just have to do/arrange what's necessary, and get around it with 'love lies' - it's what the dr ordered, it's just ' convalescence' for a while, it's just until the dr thinks you're a bit better/stronger, it's just while we have the decorators/plumbers in and the house is upside down (whether true or not) - whatever sounds good and suits your individual circs best.
All the best.

Thank you Witzend, I have just been reading through this thread and found it very informative for me. Your description above, is one of the best I've come across :)

We reckon mum started years ago ( maybe up to 8 years ) now mixed diagnosed of vas and Alzheimer's. I smiled at your reference about ' tough old bird ' that's my mum to a tee !!

Dad was diagnosed with vas and start to finish two and half years.

The amount of ' love lies ' I tell are astronomical :eek:

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I know that these clips are not what people traditionally think of when discussing the stages of dementia. I just found them very interesting when I was doing the University of Tasmania Online Course - Understanding Dementia.

https://youtu.be/eNYwyu5HhnY

https://youtu.be/vnQloCTT1yc

Thanks for posting these threads. I have just watched them again and they so immensely logical and practical and I love the fact that the role of the carer is so valued.

Just a note that enduring power of attorney and enduring guardianship in Australia are very different to UK though I believe the rules will be changing eventually.

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
How true it is that everyone is different. Apart from steadily worsening arthritis and consequent mobility problems, my mum had no health issues until her late 80s. In fact, we thought she was one of the lucky ones as my MIL had dementia which was our main family worry for several years. MIL and FIL died within a few weeks of each other (FIl's own health totally wrecked by the stresses of caring and his refusal to have essential treatment because it would mean leaving MIL with someone else).

We retired, took a deep breath, and within a few months things started to go downhill for mum. She was referred to memory clinic in January, by June she was doing dangerous things like leaving the gas on and was unable to do most simple household tasks, then she had a fall and never recovered any mobility. She moved into a care home in August where at least she was near for us to see family often, but she died in November. I remember the shock, as we had assumed she would be there for several years, but it was like she just 'gave up' and I can't say I blame her.

The care home decision is never easy, but it was helped for us by the facts that:

- mum constantly said she was lonely and miserable at home (and she was, once she could no longer get out as hardly anyone visited and all her family lived miles away)

- danger to herself and others

- she was self-funding so we didn't have to argue with SS or worry about what their budget was.

- when the crunch crisis came (triggered by another fall), we had already decided which care home we preferred so all we had to do was arrange her admission.

In our case it was an accumulation of small problems which very quickly became a mountain, but there always seems to be a 'tipping point'. So if you are already thinking about whether a care home might be needed, I would start looking and put your mum's name on a waiting list or two. You can always say 'no' if a place becomes available and you think the time is not yet right.

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
Surely the time for a care home is when the person with dementia cannot manage at home or the carer can no longer cope with their care. This could be for a multitude of reasons which might be because of aggression on the part of the PWD or the health of the carer or the carer's other responsibilities. Also, for me, safety for the PWD and for the carer are paramount. People should not be made to feel guilty. Every situation is different.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Zana

May 12, 2016
The pearl analogy made me cry ...

This lady is excellent. I've seen a few other clips of her work.

The pearl is how we think of OH's mum, its her birthday soon and instead of a gift Im making a dvd filled with family photos and music she likes in the hope it may just help her open up and give us a glimpse of that pearl....

farrey

Nov 14, 2016
Coping with advanced stages of AD

Since September 2015 I have been a full time carer for my mum who has been diagnosed with AD. I left my well paid job to care for her as other members of the family just don't want to help me or her but that is a different subject. I have kept a diary of the daily events and I can clearly see the slowly downward trend in her condition. All the medical professionals were great in their referrals and treatments but as soon as the disease was confirmed they discharged her and past her care and wellbeing basically over to me. She still lives alone but I am increasingly worried when will be the time to place her into a care home. I have got to the stage where I cannot take her out in the wheelchair because as soon as we return this tips her because she does not recognise the house and or anything that's within. Her memory and the ability to have a conversation has become non-existent, she can feed herself, struggles to dress and her incontinence has now developed into during the day. I have noticed recently her appetite has become less and she sleeps much more almost the moment she becomes relaxed in a chair. I have read several journals on the AD subject and have had a limited training session but I know that I'm not experienced in the care fully to know what's going to happen next.

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
The pearl is how we think of OH's mum, its her birthday soon and instead of a gift Im making a dvd filled with family photos and music she likes in the hope it may just help her open up and give us a glimpse of that pearl....

That sounds nice Zana, what a good idea.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Since September 2015 I have been a full time carer for my mum who has been diagnosed with AD. I left my well paid job to care for her as other members of the family just don't want to help me or her but that is a different subject. I have kept a diary of the daily events and I can clearly see the slowly downward trend in her condition. All the medical professionals were great in their referrals and treatments but as soon as the disease was confirmed they discharged her and past her care and wellbeing basically over to me. She still lives alone but I am increasingly worried when will be the time to place her into a care home. I have got to the stage where I cannot take her out in the wheelchair because as soon as we return this tips her because she does not recognise the house and or anything that's within. Her memory and the ability to have a conversation has become non-existent, she can feed herself, struggles to dress and her incontinence has now developed into during the day. I have noticed recently her appetite has become less and she sleeps much more almost the moment she becomes relaxed in a chair. I have read several journals on the AD subject and have had a limited training session but I know that I'm not experienced in the care fully to know what's going to happen next.

Welcome to Talking Point farrey. I'm sorry to say that your post-diagnosis experience is all too common. It's never easy to decide when someone needs full-time care but, from what you say, it does sound as though some other arrangements are needed. Has your mum ever had carer visits? These might ease the load on you. But it could be that she has reached the stage when a care home is needed.

I hope you will get replies from others who have had similar experiences. This is one of the main benefits of TP as I think you will soon discover.