What’s the best way to respond to hallucinations?

asearle41

Apr 1, 2021
My mum was diagnosed with dementia in 2016. She’s now 89 and has lived alone since my dad passed away in March 2021. I visit twice a week/take her shopping and ring her most days. Carers go in 4 times per week, mainly for company. She is experiencing more hallucinations - especially in the evening. I know sundowning is very common. One hallucination comes up a lot. Someone has left a child or children with her. She’s worried as they have no night clothes and she doesn’t know where they are going to sleep/whether anyone is going to pick them up. What is the best way to deal with this? I cannot be driving around there every time it happens. I help with all of the practical things (manage her finances/shopping/sort things around the house). But as what she is experiencing isn’t real (even though I know to her it is) I can’t “fix it “ or stop it happening. We’ve got an appointment with the memory clinic on Thursday this week so will mention it to them. I am a bit at my wits end with what to do…..

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
My mum was diagnosed with dementia in 2016. She’s now 89 and has lived alone since my dad passed away in March 2021. I visit twice a week/take her shopping and ring her most days. Carers go in 4 times per week, mainly for company. She is experiencing more hallucinations - especially in the evening. I know sundowning is very common. One hallucination comes up a lot. Someone has left a child or children with her. She’s worried as they have no night clothes and she doesn’t know where they are going to sleep/whether anyone is going to pick them up. What is the best way to deal with this? I cannot be driving around there every time it happens. I help with all of the practical things (manage her finances/shopping/sort things around the house). But as what she is experiencing isn’t real (even though I know to her it is) I can’t “fix it “ or stop it happening. We’ve got an appointment with the memory clinic on Thursday this week so will mention it to them. I am a bit at my wits end with what to do…..
Welcome to Talking Point @asearle41 and I am sorry that you are having to deal with this. You have not said what type of dementia your mum has but hallucinations are more prevalent in some forms than others and as time progresses hallucinations can increase. There really is no way that you can deal with it or resolve it, it is part of the disease and might even get worse in the future. I would be concerned that your mum might be tempted to leave the house to find ‘help’ for the children.
From your description of how things are progressing and how it is affecting you it might be time to consider residential care. That way you would know that your mum would be safe.
It is good that you have an appointment with the memory clinic so that you can discuss your concerns with them.
Please keep posting about any concerns you might have, you will get lots of advice here.