Well that's a new low for me

abz2005

Aug 11, 2016
Hello again all hope you're all as well as can be.

Had another low point this weekend, my daughter (8 years old) asked me yesterday why grandad (my dad) treats her differently to her brother in that he's always picking up on things she does, that really got to me to hear that come out of an 8 year olds mouth.

Then my mother told me yesterday evening my dad asked my mom who my daughter's dad was, when she said it was me he called her a liar and I'm my son's dad but my daughter has a different dad.

My daughter is his first grand kid after banging on for years for me and my wife to have kids he's forgotten she's his grand daughter.

I think we're entering another stage of this illness, I genuinely don't know what to expect anymore.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
The unpredictability that often accompanies Dementia can be very difficult. My late husband "lost" my daughter when she went on honeymoon - he didn't know who she was when they got back, and would say "your friend is here." Weirdly though, he recognised her husband, and continued to greet him as a family member, although he'd only met him a few times!

I think all we can do is to try and accept whatever quirks get thrown up if we can, and if possible, not let them upset us or bother us too much. Because things are likely to change again before long, and we'd have more adjusting to do! Easier said than done, though.

Juliematch

Jun 24, 2017
My dad completely forgot me for about 10 days.Im his main carer and he has lived with me for 11 years.All of a sudden it came back to him and he's remembered me .Even to the point of today asking me to get myself some flowers for everything Ive done.This illness is so unpredictable and random.Its a horrid time for you all but hopefully like my dad something might let him remember soon even for a short while.Dont let it upset your daughter explain hes not himself.Its difficult enough for us to understand let alone a child.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fraoch