Week of Contrasts

Salli

May 15, 2012
Bad end to week - stormed off from mum's early today as just had enough. Sometimes find it hard to even refer to her as 'mum'. Feeling a bit badly done to today after a barrage of abuse. Not once in my life has she ever paid me a compliment – the best she managed (and I remember it clearly as a one off) was when I was 11 years and had a seaside picture put up on school wall. I brought it home and she said, “not bad, I suppose”. That's it – 64 years and nothing else. She is not a kind person, and can seem jealous of me. She used to be keen on family history and I made her a brochure a few years ago, bound and illustrated, after I had been to Australia and followed footsteps of ancestor (he was an explorer). Found it ripped to shreds today, stuffed in drawer with old newspapers – obviously destroyed pre-dementia. She's always been competitive with me, but in silly ways, such as gloating she has more Christmas cards (sub text – more popular).

Guess I'm feeling a bit sorry for myself, especially as I found out she has no idea (truth?) what she has done with grandma's engagement ring. Grandma, a lovely kind lady who never had a bad word about anyone, and with whom I lived off and on, left it for me and mum has taunted me with it occasionally for over 20 years – putting it on for a minute or two and flashing it in front of me, saying it will be mine one day. She does not wear jewellery, does not value any possessions and it has disappeared which upsets me because I wanted to pass it on to my granddaughter. She is denying ever having it, yet I have found a note this morning with her will saying it is for me, note now crossed out.

Am waiting for LPA to be registered – just about due, but am trying to get mum in habit of letting me sort her post so as to stop all the multi direct debits and payments for tat she begrudgingly agreed I could sort out. In past month, I've found missing £3000 (in various places) and stopped action being taken for non payment of massive catalogue account she has racked up. But she's been playing games, selecting which pieces of post to give me and as fast as I stop something she sets up new direct debits - seven new ones in July (she denies it, even though it's there in black and white). Ok, I know that's because of her dementia, but the selective sorting of post is intentional and sneaky, as she gives me some but lies adamantly that she has given me it all – stares me straight in face and says “that's everything”.

I've found out this week she has complained to anyone who will listen that I'm interfering in her life, there is nothing wrong with her and she heard the nurse say so at hospital, and she's sick to death of me. The hairdresser has told her I must be mad (well, that'll be true then!). All I got today, from the minute I arrived was abuse and blame. No other family member would take on LPA, not even to be joint attorney, and my brother only visits twice a year. He is coming in a fortnight but mother has made him a jelly already (he's 63) and taken food from freezer two days ago – 6 lamb chops, 2 gammon steaks, 12 sausages. Naturally I've saved him from food poisoning and binned it. She said she'd taken it out for her tea tonight. I could not take any more abuse this morning and just walked out after being accused of not giving her £60 last week. I said perhaps she'd just mislaid it and it would turn up, (this often happens), but she just got nastier and nastier. I found a £20 note in letter rack, but of course she hadn't put it there. I topped up her £100 float today and asked her to sign (because I'm not happy with any of this), that she had received it. She appeared to be writing, but when I looked at it, nothing – she had pretended to do so! I feel I need to cover my back – I said, sarcastically, “oh, invisible ink”, and made her sign it properly.

I know once I get registration LPA, I will just go to bank and take over everything, but not sure whether I'm going to get through next couple of week or so! I am a little weepy today, for some reason. Not like me at all – maybe due to over-tiredness as I've had my 4 year old granddaughter staying for a few days. So lovely to have something to smile about when she's here – and now back to reality. But in truth, the smiley part should be the reality....

SWMBO1950

Nov 17, 2011
Essex
HI Salli

Are you sure you are not related to or the sister of Isabella? She seems to have a mother the same as yours :eek:

Take a lesson from Isabella who after much abuse does not argue she just says "oh ok" or "is that so". If her mother gets too bad she just says "I'm going now as I am not being spoken to like that- see you next Saturday". (she only visits once a week now because of all this).

It has taken a lot of willpower on her behalf and it is something you will need to practice but for your own sanity you need to follow her lead.

Bullies - which to be honest is what your mother is - dementia or not - thrive on peoples reaction to their nasty ways, so dont feed her need to belittle you.

Just distance yourself a bit and dont let her get to you and enjoy your grand daughter . :cool:

I have a little experience of this type of thing although not abuse as my sister was always the favourite who could do EVERYTHING unlike me who was stupid and lazy etc etc. My sister then emigrated to Australia - been there over 40 year and been back once ;)

Now my mother has demenita (?AD) it is me the stupid one who ensures she is well cared for, bills paid, shopping done, washing, ironing, fed etc etc. :cool:

Please take a step back no one needs that sort of treatment.

Best Wishes xx

Bad end to week - stormed off from mum's early today as just had enough. Sometimes find it hard to even refer to her as 'mum'. Feeling a bit badly done to today after a barrage of abuse. Not once in my life has she ever paid me a compliment – the best she managed (and I remember it clearly as a one off) was when I was 11 years and had a seaside picture put up on school wall. I brought it home and she said, “not bad, I suppose”. That's it – 64 years and nothing else. She is not a kind person, and can seem jealous of me. She used to be keen on family history and I made her a brochure a few years ago, bound and illustrated, after I had been to Australia and followed footsteps of ancestor (he was an explorer). Found it ripped to shreds today, stuffed in drawer with old newspapers – obviously destroyed pre-dementia. She's always been competitive with me, but in silly ways, such as gloating she has more Christmas cards (sub text – more popular).

Guess I'm feeling a bit sorry for myself, especially as I found out she has no idea (truth?) what she has done with grandma's engagement ring. Grandma, a lovely kind lady who never had a bad word about anyone, and with whom I lived off and on, left it for me and mum has taunted me with it occasionally for over 20 years – putting it on for a minute or two and flashing it in front of me, saying it will be mine one day. She does not wear jewellery, does not value any possessions and it has disappeared which upsets me because I wanted to pass it on to my granddaughter. She is denying ever having it, yet I have found a note this morning with her will saying it is for me, note now crossed out.

Am waiting for LPA to be registered – just about due, but am trying to get mum in habit of letting me sort her post so as to stop all the multi direct debits and payments for tat she begrudgingly agreed I could sort out. In past month, I've found missing £3000 (in various places) and stopped action being taken for non payment of massive catalogue account she has racked up. But she's been playing games, selecting which pieces of post to give me and as fast as I stop something she sets up new direct debits - seven new ones in July (she denies it, even though it's there in black and white). Ok, I know that's because of her dementia, but the selective sorting of post is intentional and sneaky, as she gives me some but lies adamantly that she has given me it all – stares me straight in face and says “that's everything”.

I've found out this week she has complained to anyone who will listen that I'm interfering in her life, there is nothing wrong with her and she heard the nurse say so at hospital, and she's sick to death of me. The hairdresser has told her I must be mad (well, that'll be true then!). All I got today, from the minute I arrived was abuse and blame. No other family member would take on LPA, not even to be joint attorney, and my brother only visits twice a year. He is coming in a fortnight but mother has made him a jelly already (he's 63) and taken food from freezer two days ago – 6 lamb chops, 2 gammon steaks, 12 sausages. Naturally I've saved him from food poisoning and binned it. She said she'd taken it out for her tea tonight. I could not take any more abuse this morning and just walked out after being accused of not giving her £60 last week. I said perhaps she'd just mislaid it and it would turn up, (this often happens), but she just got nastier and nastier. I found a £20 note in letter rack, but of course she hadn't put it there. I topped up her £100 float today and asked her to sign (because I'm not happy with any of this), that she had received it. She appeared to be writing, but when I looked at it, nothing – she had pretended to do so! I feel I need to cover my back – I said, sarcastically, “oh, invisible ink”, and made her sign it properly.

I know once I get registration LPA, I will just go to bank and take over everything, but not sure whether I'm going to get through next couple of week or so! I am a little weepy today, for some reason. Not like me at all – maybe due to over-tiredness as I've had my 4 year old granddaughter staying for a few days. So lovely to have something to smile about when she's here – and now back to reality. But in truth, the smiley part should be the reality....

Salli

May 15, 2012
Take a lesson from Isabella who after much abuse does not argue she just says "oh ok" or "is that so". If her mother gets too bad she just says "I'm going now as I am not being spoken to like that- see you next Saturday". (she only visits once a week now because of all this).

Thanks SWMBO1950. It's a bit difficult to agree with someone when you are being accused of things to do with money, but I could ignore some of other stuff, but it's all quite emotive. However, think I'm doing ok - strangely similar to your suggestion and have already stood my ground! She rang me a while back and I said, "I don't really want to talk, I'll see you next Saturday."

SWMBO1950

Nov 17, 2011
Essex
Isabella has the same 'money problems' so gets a witness to sign she has given her mother the money.

"She rang me a while back and I said, "I don't really want to talk, I'll see you next Saturday."

Well done for the above - she cannot argue or be nasty if you tell her you dont want to talk and seeing her next Saturday and is you making a point and standing your ground Well Done You!! :D

Should you get a ranting call just lay the phone down on the table or where ever it is and let her rant. Carry on with what you are doing and just check every now and again to see if she has hung up - don't you do it as it give more amunition!!

Best Wishes

Thanks SWMBO1950. It's a bit difficult to agree with someone when you are being accused of things to do with money, but I could ignore some of other stuff, but it's all quite emotive. However, think I'm doing ok - strangely similar to your suggestion and have already stood my ground! She rang me a while back and I said, "I don't really want to talk, I'll see you next Saturday."

Isabella41

Feb 20, 2012
Northern Ireland
Hi Salli

My heart goes out to you as I do know how it is. You and I have such similar suitations. Mum also tries her best to get one over on me. I am also having the money problems and being accusedo all sorts. Six months ago I was running myself ragged and was quite ill with it all. Slowly but surely I've found the courage to stand up to the bullying tactics mum employs. I no longer give excuses. I say yes or no. When she presses me for explanations I tell her I don't want to explain myself.

Once you have POA its will mean that if your mum racks up debts she can't be held responsible for them. I did hear something of interest recently though that might help you. As you may know everyone is entitled to see their credit files held with all the credit reference agencies that relevant people search when you apply for any sort of credit. An individual can ask for a note to be placed on the account so that anyone searching it can see it. For example if someone got into a lot of debt because the stopped working due to serious illness this could be recorded and taken into account. You can also ask for enhanced checks to prevent identity fraud if you've been a victim of this in the past. I was wondering if you or any other person with POA could ask the credit reference agencies to put a note on their relatives account so that if they apply for new credit - such as catalogues then it would flag up that the person has dementia and does not have capacity to apply for credit. It may be worth a shot. The main ones are Experian and Eqifax.

As others have already commented, I have started to just uumm and aah with mum. I'm very non-commited. If she starts with the bad manners I warn her to stop or I'll walk and then I do if she continues. Interestingly in the past few weeks the bad manners have reduced so there is some progress.

Salli please be kind to yourself. I've learnt that there is only so much you can do. Its hard enough caring for a parent with dementia when you previously had a brilliant relationship. In our case I think its even harder as there are little good times to recall to keep us going. Amazingly I too used to get goaded over how many Christmas cards she got. I too can't remember any compliments but I can remember many critisims.

Isabella

PeggySmith

Apr 16, 2012
BANES
I have my 11 year old grandson staying for a couple of days and he's been coming round to MIL's for the morning visits which take at least an hour.

When I got back from today's afternoon visit he asked me if I would be seeing her again today. I answered a bit too enthusiastically that I wouldn't be visiting again until tomorrow and (guiltily)added on, "...poor Great Gran its not very nice for her". To which my grandson replied "Does she ever say thank you?":)

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
am trying to get mum in habit of letting me sort her post so as to stop all the multi direct debits and payments for tat she begrudgingly agreed I could sort out.

Can you get an external post box with a key fitted outside the house so that you alone can empty it? I think that is the only way you are going to stop this for the moment.

Salli

May 15, 2012
Can you get an external post box with a key fitted outside the house so that you alone can empty it? I think that is the only way you are going to stop this for the moment.
- Onlyme

Thanks for suggestion, which would work, but mum would never agree to that. She'd go spare as I'm only going up there once a week now and she loves her post arriving - highlight of day. Hopefully LPA will be in situ soon and I'll have control of her debit card and cheque book, and cut the junk, just need to keep going as I am for a bit longer - and vent on here!

You and I have such similar suitations
- Isabella

We do, and I definitely see similarities – even to the extent of mum trying to win over my daughter. She keeps phoning her and trying to turn her against me. She is trying to make her an ally – the two of them against me. Their conversations must be quite bizarre at times as my daughter tends to have a glass of wine (or two) in the evening when mum phones and doesn't hold her drink very well. Neither seems to really understand the other. Mum thinks they have now have 'secrets'. :confused:

SWMBO1950

Nov 17, 2011
Essex
Oops from the mouths of babes!! ;)

I have my 11 year old grandson staying for a couple of days and he's been coming round to MIL's for the morning visits which take at least an hour.

When I got back from today's afternoon visit he asked me if I would be seeing her again today. I answered a bit too enthusiastically that I wouldn't be visiting again until tomorrow and (guiltily)added on, "...poor Great Gran its not very nice for her". To which my grandson replied "Does she ever say thank you?":)