we should all be eating curry!

steffie60

Jan 22, 2013
Hampshire
Someone recently told me about honey and cinnamon being a cure all for practically everything. Trouble is there are so many things to follow and it all changes each week or so it seems.

I love curry so I must be eating lots of turmeric!:D

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
I love curry as well, so does mum and quite easy to whip up.
I tried my first vindaloo not long ago from our local takeaway, nothing happened, should I have asked for my money back? :)

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
Yes should have asked for money back.........oh that made me laugh!!

MIL loves curry. I tend to make them from scratch i.e. grinding the spices down etc. They always come out too hot but MIL eats them with no complaints!:D:D

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hot is chilli.

Turmeric is one of the spices which flavours. It doesn`t add heat.

Dhiren lived his life using Turmeric in his food. I`m not disputing it`s value. I take it with Glucosamine for arthritis and it really does help me. But I doubt it prevents dementia.

I noticed Gingko biloba is another recommendation in that link. Dhiren and I took Gingko biloba for years. I thought that had been disproved ages ago.

Last edited:

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
My reference to Dave liking hot curries was just to indicate that he was a big curry eater, Sylvia, not that I thought that turmeric added any heat to the curry.In fact I've sometimes added turmeric to rice in place of saffron. It just seems that those who like curry the most are those that like it hot! I used to say to Dave that he had anaesthetised his taste bud with his madrases and vindaloos! I'm more of a korma person myself! I hardly have any nowadays though and they do have it occasionally in Dave's home but I doubt they make it very hot.
I see that in 2005 there were over 1.8 million people in Inda with AD too - so who know?!

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
All this talk about curry has sparked me into action! We have been invited out today but have got the chicken pieces out already to make a curry for tomorrow! Yummy :)

snedds57

Jun 15, 2011
Berwick upon Tweed
Ha ha - amusing thread!
"I tried my first vindaloo not long ago from our local takeaway, nothing happened, should I have asked for my money back? " made me laugh. What were you expecting? for most people on their first vindaloo its the running trots! consider yourself lucky! :D

One of these days they shall stumble on the reason alzheimers is increasing. I have my own view that it's down to diet and lifestyle and that we shall never truly eliminate it since it has always existed. Its the increase itself thats most worrying in my opinion. In the meantime, we will shake, rattle and roll every which way along the journey!:D

Farmergirl

May 24, 2011
Cornwall
My mum, being middle eastern has been eating food containing turmeric all her life. has made no difference to her or her sister, who also had Alzheimers.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
One of these days they shall stumble on the reason alzheimers is increasing. I have my own view that it's down to diet and lifestyle and that we shall never truly eliminate it since it has always existed.

Aging is one of the major factors for developing Alzheimer's. Since more people are living much longer, that really needs to be taken into consideration. Neither of my grandmothers lived to be 70 and neither had any developing dementia when they died. My grandfather had dementia but he had also had had a brain tumour and a severe head injury during World War II.

I agree that it has always existed - there are references in classical literature. I think something that gets overlooked is the sheer connectedness of the world today. So we are bombarded with far more stories and examples of AD than even only 20 years ago.

The media is also why we see the world as such a dangerous place, even though crime rates have been decreasing in North America over the last decades. I believe the reporting in the media has made us more aware, which is good, but it may also skew our perceptions of the rate of increase of dementia in general.

A simple example is how we don't notice X model of a car, until we buy one and then we see them everywhere. Perceptions can be tricky.