'Water' tablets versus incontinence

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
Mum became incontinent immediately after her severe downturn, just over a year ago. During one of her hospitalisations she had a pulmonary oedema and since then has been on Furosemide (water tablet). I have certainly noticed an improvement in her breathing since she has been on these tablets - before she was a bit wheezy and 'whistly' - so she needs to be on them. However, with her bladder incontinence as it is (if I don't encourage her to the loo every 2/3 hours she generally wets her pad, or doesn't make it onto the loo quite in time) the tablets seem to be having an adverse effect in that the incontinence issues are made worse.

I can't take her off the Furosemide, but wonder if a smaller dose might help reduce the 'severity' of the incontinence (will be discussing this with GP later this week). I'm not sure if there's any other way of managing this apparent contradiction of the Furosemide flushing her out more, but making the incontinence a little harder to control/manage.

Has anyone had similar problems and got any useful advice?

Thank you.

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
It's going to be a balancing act, between the lungs and waterworks!
Be prepared to visit Dr's often till the balance is reached.

Bod

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
The incontinence might be due to her dementia progressing and reducing the water tablets might not make any difference.
Does she perhaps need more absorbent pads now?

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
HI Marnie,

You need to be guided by your doctor about reducing the dosage of your mum's water tablets. I think your mum's oxygen intake is too important to ignore and that her incontinence has to take second place. It might be inconvenient for you to deal with her being wet but her shortness of breath is a major health issue and it would be quite unwise for you to tinker with her medication without the right advice.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Incontinence is always inconvenient but you'll just have to deal with it. Get a referral to the Continence Service who can prescribe pads, buy waterproof mattress covers and Kylie sheets. My OH has to drink lots due to kidney stones. He's incontinent too, but I would never restrict his water intake. Dehydration can be dangerous in many respects. Incontinence is not dangerous, just a nuisance.

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
Hi HB. Yes, thanks for asking. We are OK. I had another good appointment with our GP this week. He has given me some very useful guidance on the use of the Furosemide and has prescribed 0.5mg of Risperidone at night. I told him I need to try something, but want to do it 'gently', so we're going to try this for a month and then I will be seeing him again for a follow up. He has turned out to be a very supportive GP just when I need him, so thank God for that. I think I'm now down to two options - a new medication regime to help us (me) deal with the situation at home, or a care home. We'll see how it turns out. Mum still no. 2 on the list!