Waiting for the ambulance again

Silversally

Aug 18, 2022
Just posting this as someone will be around to read. This is the fourth night I have had almost no sleep so may not make sense. My husband has deteriorated sharply during this time. I had to call 111 as he could not stand and was on the floor and I could not move him. Eventually they sent an ambulance and he spent last night in hospital. I collected him this afternoon. He sat in his armchair and went deeply asleep. He woke briefly to have a drink and something to eat, took his antibiotic capsule. About 10 pm I thought he should go to the toilet and to bed. But after 1-1/2 hours trying to get him to the toilet and then sit on it, he finally slid onto the floor again in the toilet and I can’t move him. Called 999 - will have to wait several hours. Made him as comfortable as possible and he is sleeping there. I think he needs to stay somewhere for a few days to get help with walking. He refuses to do exercises with me but was more cooperative with the hospital staff. Sorry to moan I realise others on this forum have far worse problems. I am sorry I can’t cope better.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Just posting this as someone will be around to read. This is the fourth night I have had almost no sleep so may not make sense. My husband has deteriorated sharply during this time. I had to call 111 as he could not stand and was on the floor and I could not move him. Eventually they sent an ambulance and he spent last night in hospital. I collected him this afternoon. He sat in his armchair and went deeply asleep. He woke briefly to have a drink and something to eat, took his antibiotic capsule. About 10 pm I thought he should go to the toilet and to bed. But after 1-1/2 hours trying to get him to the toilet and then sit on it, he finally slid onto the floor again in the toilet and I can’t move him. Called 999 - will have to wait several hours. Made him as comfortable as possible and he is sleeping there. I think he needs to stay somewhere for a few days to get help with walking. He refuses to do exercises with me but was more cooperative with the hospital staff. Sorry to moan I realise others on this forum have far worse problems. I am sorry I can’t cope better.
is it the infection that is causing the mobility issues? there was nothing else you could really do without the risk of injuring yourself or your husband. its not nice for him to wait so long for an ambulance. dont apologise and its not a competition on who suffers more. my husband went down on the floor 2 weeks ago. just a chest infection they think but the ambulance came out to check he wasnt suffering injury or illness.

Silversally

Aug 18, 2022
is it the infection that is causing the mobility issues? there was nothing else you could really do without the risk of injuring yourself or your husband. its not nice for him to wait so long for an ambulance. dont apologise and its not a competition on who suffers more. my husband went down on the floor 2 weeks ago. just a chest infection they think but the ambulance came out to check he wasnt suffering injury or illness.
Thank you, Jennifer. It is good to talk to someone! The falls people (who I didn’t know existed!) have just been so we haven’t had to wait as long as I thought. They have got him upstairs and into bed so hope he can last through the night. It seems his treatment is for a UTI although it doesn’t seem like that to me. He already had mobility problems but not as bad as this. They advised me to call the GP in the morning.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I’m glad you didn’t have to wait as long as you thought you might @Silversally. I do hope you managed to get some sleep.

I remember when my mum had UTIs that her mobility got much worse. I hope you can get some help from the GP later this morning.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi @Silversally

UTIs are renowned for causing mobility loss and confusion in people with dementia.
My OH has mobility problems, but every time he gets a UTI his mobility drops off a cliff! When the UTI has gone he then gets back to where he was

Silversally

Aug 18, 2022
I’m glad you didn’t have to wait as long as you thought you might @Silversally. I do hope you managed to get some sleep.

I remember when my mum had UTIs that her mobility got much worse. I hope you can get some help from the GP later this morning.
Thank you, Izzy. He slept well so I got some rest too.

Thank you, Izzy. He slept well so I got some rest and feel calmer.

Silversally

Aug 18, 2022
Hi @Silversally

UTIs are renowned for causing mobility loss and confusion in people with dementia.
My OH has mobility problems, but every time he gets a UTI his mobility drops off a cliff! When the UTI has gone he then gets back to where he was
Thank you, Canary. I don’t know how much antibiotic he had in hospital. He has only had two so far here at home. Fingers crossed it will kick in soon.

Silversally

Aug 18, 2022
Better news today. I called the GP and they told me to call an ambulance again! Fortunately the ambulance call handler passed the information on to the community nurses who have been today, helped to get him moving better and will be installing various helpful aids. So grateful and reassured now. Thank you all for your concern and advice.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Called 111 for my M in L today- they added her to the paramedic call required.
first call at 9.30 this morning. advised 4 hour wait
Called again at 2.30pm-7 hour wait advised
Now, just before 7.30pm, still no paramedic and advised there are still 204 infront of her.

Sigh

Silversally

Aug 18, 2022
Now, just before 7.30pm, still no paramedic and advised there are still 204 infront of her.

Sigh
So sorry, waiting is awful when someone is in trouble. Looks like the whole system is collapsing. Have you had any contact with Admiral nurses? I haven’t used them yet but understand they are helpful.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex

Sigh
I am so sorry about this Jessbow. Are the paramedics there now? I hope she's okay.

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Better news today. I called the GP and they told me to call an ambulance again! Fortunately the ambulance call handler passed the information on to the community nurses who have been today, helped to get him moving better and will be installing various helpful aids. So grateful and reassured now. Thank you all for your concern and advice.
Dear @Silversally,

Do you have carers coming in because I think you need more help now? Would you be able to consider respite care at least?

MaNaAk

Silversally

Aug 18, 2022
Dear @Silversally,

Do you have carers coming in because I think you need more help now? Would you be able to consider respite care at least?

MaNaAk
We don’t have carers, MaNaAk, but the nurses have said we can call them if we need them. I am planning to get some help in the house as I can’t keep up with the cleaning and it gets me down to see everything getting grubby and dog hair everywhere!

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
We don’t have carers, MaNaAk, but the nurses have said we can call them if we need them. I am planning to get some help in the house as I can’t keep up with the cleaning and it gets me down to see everything getting grubby and dog hair everywhere!
Oh I know that feeling well. Are you getting AA and CA? Also my doctor's surgery provided a wonderful booklet on local services.

MaNaAk

Silversally

Aug 18, 2022
Oh I know that feeling well. Are you getting AA and CA? Also my doctor's surgery provided a wonderful booklet on local services.

MaNaAk
We are getting the Attendance allowance which I overspend in my head “Let’s take a taxi, the allowance covers it” and other such things! It is helpful.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
We are getting the Attendance allowance which I overspend in my head “Let’s take a taxi, the allowance covers it” and other such things! It is helpful.
If it's to a hospital appointment your hospital may do a care cat service like ours did. Also you could be entitled to the higher rate of AA and CA. We used carers, care cars and also a gardener.

MaNaAk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JennyDav