Visiting Rules in care home

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
Like Jinty, I avoid staying for lunchtime, I just get my mother settled in her seat and leave, but that's my choice - visiting is welcome at any 'reasonable time' including meal times.

Babymare01

Apr 22, 2015
mums present nursing home discourages visitors at mealtimes because some residents can get upset but I always have gone in at lunchtime to feed mum her lunch. As silly has it sounds it helps me think Im helping caring for my mum. When I visited the home to look round I expliained this and also the home mum was moving from also explained it as well to the manager. I have always been made so welcomed and the chef actually looks out for me so mums lunch comes out. So please have another word with the manager and explain. I understand mums homes reasoning because mum isn't the only resident and they have to think of all but really appreciate that they encourage me to go in then. Guess me feeding mum is also a help to them lol :)

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
Yes, this is an interesting thread. My Mum's home never had a problem letting me stay for meal times - I often feed Mummy freeing them up.
There is something about dignity and privacy around meals but TBH in a shared lounge theres a limit to how much you can respect this at other times, as much as you might want to.
I do wonder if there is something else happening that perhaps they are less keen for you to see. My Mum is in a dementia unit, so I expect a certain amount of challenging behaviour -at meal and other times.
I have never had a problem with visiting times. I even went at night to wait with her for a ambulance

padmag

May 8, 2012
nottingham
the protected meal time policy is supposed to be used to stop none urgent clinical care as in nurses visits not to stop anyone having a meal with the family .
My partner is in respite at the moment (3 weeks) and I have been allowed in the dining room by some carers and not others, so am a bit disappointed as I like to help Richard with his eating making sure his food is soft and shredded or cut up very small for him to cope with. He tends to store food in his mouth and not swallow, so I can keep an eye on this (they have had to clear food from his mouth before) It has developed into Richard and I sitting at a table in the quiet area away from everyone else which I now do as a compromise. Reading the posts on this thread I get the feeling that some homes are more welcoming than others and I think Richard's falls somewhere in between. I would love to be able to go to the home and not find Richard soaking wet and the rest and forever requesting that they change him (I am calm when asking, but they really do not like being told, think I'm the bad guy) it could be coincidence but it wears me down and I want to scream. I do understand the carers work very hard, and underpaid, it might be too few carers to residents ratio, anyway I'm rambling now, sorry to take over your thread.
Another minor issue I know - there is nowhere to be able to have a cup of tea or coffee and I'm usually there for 3 hours daily, a flask it is then!

padmag

May 8, 2012
nottingham
the protected meal time policy is supposed to be used to stop none urgent clinical care as in nurses visits not to stop anyone having a meal with the family .
Meal times at Richard's care home seems to bring out the nurses - I have seen them inject residents whilst they are eating, and because the residents are not expecting it they have a sort of delayed reaction. Perhaps it's the only way they can administer their meds.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
@padmag it sounds as if Richard is in a nursing home as you mention nurses, so maybe a bit different to my mother's CH which doesn't give nursing care. But I was surprised to hear you say there is nowhere to have a cup of tea - we are usually offered one, the kitchen staff seem to be on a continual round of tea and coffee making for the residents and visitors get included - we are sometimes even offered cake if we go at the right time!

Care homes are so different in what they allow, and offer, there seem to be few common standards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evennavi49