visiting mum

felicity1234

Mar 27, 2020
My mum is end of life care. My step dad has visited daily and stays all day for the past 5 years. The care home she is in have allowed us to view her from a safe distance through a window. However, out of the blue today, they have told me that it is a non essential visit and i must leave. They kept my mums curtains closed so i couldn't even say goodbye. We are both devastated. I am an essential worker in this difficult time and pop in on my way home. I understand that i should go straight home but the thought of not seeing mum is unbearable. Please can anyone advise that if i use my one form of exercise a day to walk to the home, i should be allowed to look through the window. can i be refused this right?

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Welcome to the forum. It's a really difficult time for everyone at the moment. My Mum's care home is also closed to all visits and have stated that they will only allow family visits when a resident "is at the very end of life". That's different however to someone who is receiving 'end of life care', which can last for some time. Mum's home is also requesting that family do not turn up to the premises unannounced - any visit has to be arranged in advance, to protect both the staff and all of the residents. Could your Mum's home arrange for video calls so that you can see your Mum and talk to her? I had a brief video call with Mum today and it made all the difference to see her, and know that she was ok. I think the best thing to do is to have a chat with the manager about the situation and explain how you are feeling and see what arrangements could be made to allow you to see your Mum, even if not in person.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @felicity1234
a warm welcome to DTP
such a tough time for you
I too think a discussion with the manager may help explain the situation and find some solution ... I hope so

felicity1234

Mar 27, 2020
Thank you very much for your advice but unfortunately the manager is very unapproachable and has shown no empathy at all during this difficult time. I have previously made legitimate complaints about my mum's care and I really feel that the manager is unwilling to do anything to help. I'm gutted.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
It's really hard, but your Mum's care home is doing exactly the same as my Mum's home (and others) in terms of restricting all family visits. Vulnerable people have to be protected from the virus so it's understandable that only staff are being given access to the residents at this time but restrictions will be regularly reviewed dependant on government advice. Try to separate your previous problems with the manager from what action is being taken now to ensure that all residents and staff are being kept safe, which will apply to the families of all of the other residents there too, it isn't personal. Are you in contact with any of the other relatives? Since the restrictions started I've had text contact with another relative whose Dad is in the same unit as Mum and it has helped a bit to chat with someone who is going through the same thing at the moment, plus you'll find lots of people on this forum who know exactly how you are feeling and can offer support.

My Mum also loves close contact and touch - hand holding and a cuddle - and although she can't really communicate much now she does know my voice. A video call can't replicate a visit in terms of physical closeness but although Mum wasn't looking at me she recognised my voice and just being able to see her gave me reassurance that she was doing ok and was being looked after by the staff. I'm just trying to focus on getting through the current situation and hoping that things will get better in time so that contact with Mum will improve. I was worried that a video call would confuse or upset Mum but we both benefitted from the short call and it was really reassuring for me, so it's worth giving it a go to see if it helps you and is comforting to your Mum to hear your voice. Keep posting as there are others here who are in the same boat and struggling with the sudden changes to 'normality' caused by the virus. You're not on your own.

felicity1234

Mar 27, 2020
Thankyou for your post, i have been in contact with another relative with a loved one in the care home my mum is in. However, its really frustrating as that relative was able to walk onto the premises and look at her mum through the window without any confrontation. My mums husband tried to look at my mum today, hes 76 and has been visiting all day every day for the past 5 years. He was rudely ushered off the premises. It is personal and i'm absolutely devastated. I thought that care homes have a duty of care to the relatives as well as the residents they are caring for. Am i wrong? I understand the current rules but am so upset that my mums home seems to pick and choose who they allow to view residents. This situation is absolutely devastating and im struggling to cope with it. Please help.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fraoch