Virtual Christmas thread 2023

GillP

Aug 11, 2021
Christmas was cancelled! I drove north to spend Christmas with my family. I’m staying at Mam’s and we were going to brothers along with others on Christmas Day. However, when I got home it was clear that Mam was not herself, she was tired, looked very jaded and had lost her appetite. She said it was just her age. However the next day her breathing was laboured, she could barely keep her eyes open and felt sick. I dialled her GP who arranged for paramedics to come. Prognosis was that she has a viral gastrointestinal illness. She is 94 and I was most concerned. Advised to eat sparingly , keep fluid intake up, rest and ask gp for anti sickness if needed. Contact medics if it gets worse. So our Christmas dinner was poached egg on toast for two.

I felt sorry for my sister in law who was supposed to be hosting because her father was ill too. He managed to join them but was taken to hospital today.

Mam is feeling a bit better and managed to stay out of bed for a bit longer this morning. She does feel weak and will need building up!

I’m missing my daily walks as I don’t like to leave her for long. My gout has flared up , need to find out how to stop this if I can. I don’t drink and eat red meat maybe once a week. Also, although this is the second Christmas without James I’ve had too much time to think and that raw pain has surfaced along with all manner of other unhelpful thoughts.

Not the family Christmas we were all looking forward to. Hoping for a healthier New Year!

Firecatcher

Jan 6, 2020
I’m so sorry @GillP that this has not been the Christmas you wanted or deserved. I hope both you and your Mum are feeling better soon.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Christmas was cancelled! I drove north to spend Christmas with my family. I’m staying at Mam’s and we were going to brothers along with others on Christmas Day. However, when I got home it was clear that Mam was not herself, she was tired, looked very jaded and had lost her appetite. She said it was just her age. However the next day her breathing was laboured, she could barely keep her eyes open and felt sick. I dialled her GP who arranged for paramedics to come. Prognosis was that she has a viral gastrointestinal illness. She is 94 and I was most concerned. Advised to eat sparingly , keep fluid intake up, rest and ask gp for anti sickness if needed. Contact medics if it gets worse. So our Christmas dinner was poached egg on toast for two.

I felt sorry for my sister in law who was supposed to be hosting because her father was ill too. He managed to join them but was taken to hospital today.

Mam is feeling a bit better and managed to stay out of bed for a bit longer this morning. She does feel weak and will need building up!

I’m missing my daily walks as I don’t like to leave her for long. My gout has flared up , need to find out how to stop this if I can. I don’t drink and eat red meat maybe once a week. Also, although this is the second Christmas without James I’ve had too much time to think and that raw pain has surfaced along with all manner of other unhelpful thoughts.

Not the family Christmas we were all looking forward to. Hoping for a healthier New Year!
Hugs

MaNaAk

GillP

Aug 11, 2021
@canary , @jennifer1967 , @Firecatcher and @MaNaAk , Many thanks for your kind words. Hopefully Mam will be better soon, there are signs. I shall stay a bit longer than originally planned. It’s lovely to feel I can help my family, that’s what it’s all about.

Hope all are well.

GillP

Aug 11, 2021
So sorry your Christmas wasn't what you planned @GillP. I hope your mum recovers quickly and you get a chance for a walk or two.
Many thanks. At the moment Mam is my main focus. I can walk later and it’s a joy spending time with her.

Also, I realise that others are dealing with so much more than our problems so feel a bit churlish for mentioning it now.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Many thanks. At the moment Mam is my main focus. I can walk later and it’s a joy spending time with her.

Also, I realise that others are dealing with so much more than our problems so feel a bit churlish for mentioning it now.
its not a competition as to whose problems are worse therefore valid. dont feel churlish, it is good to share.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
But its natural that you would worry about her, in your position we all would, so why would you not mention it?
Its not a competition