VIKI jones

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
That's a good question. I am not sure, but it's possible, seeing as the brain may not be able to make sense of the input from the senses coming in. I think I remember my mum struggling more with getting down stairs or steps as her vascular dementia progressed.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
I have always thought vertigo was caused by ear infections or disease. I have never come across it being a symptom but maybe someone has.

My son and a friend both suffer from it and my son has excercises to do to move what he calls crystals ( probably not the medical word for them) back to where they belong. It is the movement that throws him off balance.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Soobee, I know that a loss of depth perception is very common with dementia, which is why patterned floor coverings are not recommended. They can be seen as differing floor levels by someone with dementia, making them unsteady on their feet, and prone to falls.

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
I have had a quick browse and it seems like it can be associated with dementia but that other causes should be ruled out first. e.g. medication side effects, environmental factors, balance problems in the ear, and issues with processing depth perception as LadyA says.

Rosnpton

Mar 19, 2017
Northants
May be worth checking ears are blocked or infected
I had severe labryntitus several years ago and still have giddy spells if I'm run down or my ears get a bit waxy.
Ros

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Viral infection of middle ear can play havoc with your balance. Whilst it's not exactly vertigo, it makes things like escalators difficult, also open steps, especially over water.
Years ago I had a neuritis go the nerve that leads to the ear, that was vertigo all right. Took 6 weeks to clear.

Caz60

Jul 24, 2014
Lancashire
I had vertigo and labyrinthitis which is a problem in your ear and balance.It can take a long time to settle while your brain adjusts itself and compensates your balance for you.
Maybe this is the link with brain conditions ,it can't do it .x

Victoria45

May 15, 2017
Viki

Thanks for ADVICE, we have had ears and neck checked out but dizziness and fuzzy heads continue

margherita

May 30, 2017
Italy, Milan and Acqui Terme
My husband ,too, who is in the early stage of dementia, says he feels dizzy.
I thouhgt it might be connected with vascular dementia and a decreased quality of blood circulation in his brain

I suffer from dizziness too, but it derives from a specific movement. I can't turn my head right when I'm lying

nicoise

Jun 29, 2010
My husband had what was initially diagnosed as labyrinthitis when he had sudden onset vertigo (along with vomiting and severe headache).

With worsening symptoms, a return visit to A&E a day later and it was finally correctly diagnosed as a cerebellar infarction - a clot in the cerebellar area of the brain. This late diagnosis meant that an area of the cerebellum was now dead.

Fifteen years on and the residual damage is that of vertigo when he tips his head in a certain direction, and trouble with spatial awareness.

So I'd think it was logical that the progressive shrinking of the brain could lead to damage or losing the area responsible for balance and spatial perception.

If someone is worried about this, then get it checked out by a GP as there may well be treatable causes. My husband's stroke was the worst case cause of these symptoms, and not seen very often.

Last edited:

Toony Oony

Jun 21, 2016
Hi Victoria45

My Mum had an isolated but severe bout of vertigo about 10 years ago long before her diagnosis of Vascular Dementia.
Since she was diagnosed, she has very regularly complained of dizziness and when it is at its worst 'veering to one side'. This is accompanied by nausea.
She too has had her neck and ears checked, but Mum says (as far as she can remember) it doesn't feel the same as when she had vertigo before. The dizziness and accompanying nausea has been ongoing most days for at least 3 years, but despite all sorts of tests - neck, ears, blood pressure, heart, balance, eyes - no cause can be found.
As my Mum has a significant eating problem, I think that may have something to do with it and I have also tried to ensure she remembers to drink enough to prevent dizziness from dehydration. Either that or she uses the dizziness as a 'catch all' description when she's feeling under par and cannot accurately explain what's wrong (bit like a kid saying their tummy hurts).

Mum has a permanent scrip for Cyclizine - which she takes as and when she needs it. Her GP says it works for both nausea and extreme dizziness. It certainly seems to help Mum, although she needs reminding now to take the 'sick tablet' when her symptoms are troubling.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnNYC