Vascular diagnosis at 74

StewartJ

Apr 30, 2022
Hello,

I am hoping to get some insight into my mother's recent diagnosis of vascular dementia. She is 74 and healthy (active withlow blood pressure and has not had a stroke or heart attack that we are aware of), but she has been forgetful for the last 10 years and has got alot worse in the last 6 months with serious episodes of confusion and an inability to recognize my father on an almost daily basis.

Can anyone help with the following:
1) She has been prescribed with medication ( I don't know which drug) but do these actually work?

2) How long will she likely live? I am horrified by the idea of her wasting away in a care home.

Thanks in advance for your input.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
what meds has she been given. there isnt a tablet for vascular dementia. my husband has vascular dementia for 2 years when he was 72. hes 74 now. it tends to go down in steps so it will be fine for a while then there is a big step down. every persons journey is different and you are not able to put a timeline on the person. just live for the day and dont worry about the future as its not certain. just deal with things now and dont worry about the future because the future is unknown. have you power of attorney set up, this is very useful and gives your mum a voice when she cant make decisions herself.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hello @StewartJ
A warm welcome to DTP

I appreciate that you want as much info as possible to help support her and your father ... it's tricky though when considering life expectancy as each person is differently affected
maybe some of the pages on the main AS site will be useful

I'd say that if meds have been prescribed it's worth giving them a try ... it may be that they are to help with anxiety or agitation .. ask her doctor to explain, though they might not discuss with you due to patient confidentiality (your mother can give her permission for you and your father to be involved, a letter from her can be noted on her medical file)

your mother may not always recognise your older father as her husband if she has slipped in time and is looking for the young man she married ... if she accepts your father's presence might he simply act as a good friend ... sometimes it can help to leave the room and call out to her before going back in eg 'hey (her name, not an endearment) I've got a cuppa for you .. it's (his name) ... how about a biscuit too', then go slowly in smiling and calm ... this way she hopefully may recognise his voice and then name and orientate herself

SherwoodSue

Jun 18, 2022
Hello,

I am hoping to get some insight into my mother's recent diagnosis of vascular dementia. She is 74 and healthy (active withlow blood pressure and has not had a stroke or heart attack that we are aware of), but she has been forgetful for the last 10 years and has got alot worse in the last 6 months with serious episodes of confusion and an inability to recognize my father on an almost daily basis.

Can anyone help with the following:
1) She has been prescribed with medication ( I don't know which drug) but do these actually work?

2) How long will she likely live? I am horrified by the idea of her wasting away in a care home.

Thanks in advance for your input.
My mum has vascular dementia. One thing to be aware of many people with this actually pass away with something else. A fall or heart attack or stroke. Trying to guess the future is impossible. Do you have attendance allowance? You may get a reduction in Council Tax payment too