Vascular dementia research

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Hi Sarah,

I'd be interested to know if there is any 'new' research in the area of Vascular Dementia, , particulary from diagnosis perspective.

Any pointers?
thanks
Craig

Sarah Day

Sep 28, 2004
Gordon House, London
Research into vascular dementia

Hi Craig

You have hit on an interesting point here! One of the objectives of the Hearts and Brains project is to initiate more research into vascular dementia. Comparatively, we believe there is a gap and research into diagnosis, treament and prevention could be invaluable.

Having said that, there is a fair bit of research surrounding the effectiveness of the anti-dementia drugs for treating vascular dementia. Reminyl and Exelon have received the most attention and the results seem encouraging. At present however, none of the drugs are recognised by NICE for the treatment of vascular dementia although we hear that some people have been prescibed them. As part of The Alzheimer's Society submission to NICE regarding drugs for the treatment of dementia, we have made recommendations that all 4 drugs should be made available to those with Alzheimer's disease or vascular dementia.

If anyone would like further information on the research papers available, please let me know. I will also be posting the references on the website shortly.

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Thanks Sarah.

Please can you also post the link to these references once available......

Kindest Regards
Craig