Vascular dementia and use of Trazadone for aggression

Poppy Field

Jun 5, 2018
Hi, My mum has vascular dementia and has been in a nursing home for the past six months. She has had a turbulent time having to cope with a fractured hip within a few days of arrival at the nursing home and more recently partial amputation of her thumb from an accident. In spite of her poor mobility due to a TIA and seizure last year, fractured hip and subsequent falls, she has been determined to walk. I often find her walking slowly up and down the corridor with her frame and pleased to see me. I so admire her indomitable spirit and take my hat off to her.

My mum has been prescribed lorazepam for agitation as and when required. Worryingly I have been informed that my mum has been hitting out at staff and residents off and on. In a meeting at the nursing home, several 'triggers' were discussed such as possible UTI (no UTI this time), constipation, pain/discomfort from her thumb, tinnitus and regular noise from call alarm outside her room which deprives her of sleep and often sleeps in lounge in day clothes, refusal to be washed perhaps invasion of privacy and/or unfamiliar faces (bank staff?), boredom (past month home has been recruiting for two new activity co-ordinators so limited activities), aware of her environment so noise in dementia lounge at sun downing can be confusing and distressing, at times deeply unhappy and missing her mum and dad... I have been asked to consider a Trazadone for my mum's aggression. I am concerned about its dizzy side effect when my mum is susceptible to falls.

I would like to ask what positive or negative experiences have been encountered with the use of Trazadone for those being cared for with vascular dementia. Many thanks.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I have written about Trazodone many times as it has been so successful for my husband in calming him down. He has had falls but I don't believe that is the cause. He has a very damaged knee from his footballing days which makes him unstable.

I have read that Lorazepam does not suit everyone so the lashing out might belong to that. Other members may know more about it.