Vascular dementia and losing mobility

Oshawa

Jun 13, 2021
My husband has had a series of falls and was taken into hospital with a fractured shoulder- the person who came home after a few was very different- he can no longer walk independently, go to the toilet or do anything much for himself .. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced a partner who suddenly can no longer walk?

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello and welcome to the forum @Oshawa

I have read of this sort of experience, although I don't have any personal experience so can't offer advice.

I hope others who do have experience will be along tomorrow to advise.

In the meantime, I just wanted to say that you are not alone as the collective experience of forum members is vast and you will get support here.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im afraid that a fall and a fracture, together with the hospital admission, will very often progress dementia (of all sorts). I would request an assessment from the Physio and Occupational Therapist to see if there are any aids that can help him/you. Your GP should be able to organise this. I would ask SS for a reviewed needs assessment as you will probably need more help now.

Its a pity this was not not done in hospital.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Hi. I cared for my dad who has VD and poor mobility. I now care for him 2 days a week instead of 4. The carers do the rest.
His mobility has not returned to baseline. I would contact Social Services to see if they could do an assessment. Also physio and OT can be contacted for equipment and exercises. Dad walks with a gutter frame and has a Sara Stedy which helps him move from one part of the bungalow to another when his mobility is poor.

Oshawa

Jun 13, 2021
Hi. I cared for my dad who has VD and poor mobility. I now care for him 2 days a week instead of 4. The carers do the rest.
His mobility has not returned to baseline. I would contact Social Services to see if they could do an assessment. Also physio and OT can be contacted for equipment and exercises. Dad walks with a gutter frame and has a Sara Stedy which helps him move from one part of the bungalow to another when his mobility is poor.
Thank you, my husband is now going to rehab for an assessment and I hope to be able to care for him at home with support-but know he wil eventually have to be admitted to a care home.. he is now having some difficulties finding the right words . I am no stranger to dementia my father and mother in law developed Alzheimer’s. I have my son to help but no other family, but have found great support from friends. It will be a journey once again with no happy ending.