Vascular Dementia/Alzheimer`s in Downs Syndrome folk

baggybert

Jul 2, 2024
Hi Everyone,

My brother who I look after full time has recently been diagnosed with dementia. Is it usual for the rapid ups and downs in moods? He will be ok in the morning for example but often by about 3pm in the afternoon he is a completely different person, even more confused than normal, does not seem to hear me, does not seem to respond to anything at all and by the evening he is often like a zombie.

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Hello @baggybert and welcome. I don’t have any experience of this but this link may give you some more information.
Dementia does change a persons personality and I’m guessing that by mid afternoon your brother is tired and overwhelmed with everything. It might be worth having a chat with his GP just to check he is not suffering with any other illness or infection. Also the Admiral Nurses may have some suggestions for you to manger the later part of the day.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Well hello and welcome from me.
Sundowning, late afternoon shut down call it how you will seems to be quite common.
Thank you for posting it's so nice you look after your brother in this way, thank you. K

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Yes, this is sundowning - a period of increased confusion often in the evening or overnight. My mum used to start sundowning at about 3.00pm too

I know that the Alzheimers society has a factsheet about sundowning and I looked for it, but couldnt for the life of me find it. I hope someone else who knows where it is will come and give you a link

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Here it is.