Vascula dementia

loopy leicester

Mar 2, 2024
Hi im Tracey im a carer for my mum, shes 87 had a stroke 5 years ago which resulted in vascula dementia, she refuses carers goes nuts when i mention it, but she is phoning first thing and demanding her pills, there isnt a pill she takes that makes any difference, but she has got it in her head! We looked into homes but she would not last, she is managing ok at moment when we leave her, we are setting up camera"s, she keeps asking to go doctors to get pills so she can die, its no life for her or us is it? ive found myself googling life span, hoping that her misery will end and then i feel bad, she is ok in evenings she phones chat chat, no support out there but am finding life a bit stressful lol

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Hi im Tracey im a carer for my mum, shes 87 had a stroke 5 years ago which resulted in vascula dementia, she refuses carers goes nuts when i mention it, but she is phoning first thing and demanding her pills, there isnt a pill she takes that makes any difference, but she has got it in her head! We looked into homes but she would not last, she is managing ok at moment when we leave her, we are setting up camera"s, she keeps asking to go doctors to get pills so she can die, its no life for her or us is it? ive found myself googling life span, hoping that her misery will end and then i feel bad, she is ok in evenings she phones chat chat, no support out there but am finding life a bit stressful lol
could you get her an ordinary vitamin tablet she can take herself without danger so she is not so panicked? my husband has vascular dementia and panics over the simplist thing. he catastophizes as well, every thing seems like an emergency when its not.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @loopy leicester and welcome to Dementia Support Forum our friendly and helpful community of people who have experience of many aspects of dementia. I am sorry to hear about your mum. It seems that you may have reached the point where what she needs is more important than what she wants. Living independently has become a risk for her and makes her vulnerable. Without carers she'll continue to struggle and even then would have many hours without the care she deserves. I am not sure that I understand your comment about care homes. Many here have found them to be a good way to ensure care for the person and peace of mind for the carers. Definitely worth considering as a potential option.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @loopy leicester and welcome to the Dementia Support Forum. I am sorry to read that you are finding caring for your mum stressful. There is support available for carers but it can be hard to fund. I have attached a couple of links which you might find useful.
If you have not already done so please consider contacting your local adult social services to arrange a needs assessment for your mum and a carers assessment for yourself.

I hope that you will find this information useful and that you will keep posting for support and advice.