Update on my mum ....and me!

shark2

Aug 22, 2012
n ireland
Hi everybody :)

Haven't been on for ages so thought I would give an update on my mother and myself. :rolleyes:

Mother has been back to the psychogeriatrician and I was allowed to sit in on the assessment. I was quite shocked to hear that she didn't know her dob, age, address, the season, where she was and the prime minister. Obviously these aren't questions I would be asking her, but I didn't realise her memory had diminished so much.

He said there had been a major decline and asked what my worries were. I explained the sw had been out and she had refused all offers of help, bar the carer coming in the morning to make her tea and give her the tablets. she wasn't taking them properly either, and had forgotten how to put the telly on or use the phone.

dr said he felt she hadn't capacity to make her own decisions now....quite scary :(
and said he would get in touch with the sw again.

In the meantime, the sitter who comes tuesday and thursday 7-10 has been given 2 more nights to come - (Sunday and Wed). This means I actually don't have to sit any evenings with her. Believe it or not, I do actually feel guilty about this - i'm never happy ) My mum is fuming about this and is being really awkward about the sitter. She won't get out of the chair in my house for me to take her home, and is deliberately stalling. The poor woman was standing in the rain tonight waiting.

She wants to be in her house, but not with the sitter, she thinks she wants to be in my house, but when it gets dark she wants home so it's a vicious circle. I stay overnight tonight, so she thought I was taking her home at 7 and that was me for the night! Then I get the whole "you don't give a damn about me, etc,etc"

Sorry for rambling...sometimes it's therapeutic to get it all out. :cool:

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW

Haven't been on for ages so thought I would give an update on my mother and myself. :rolleyes:

Mother has been back to the psychogeriatrician and I was allowed to sit in on the assessment. I was quite shocked to hear that she didn't know her dob, age, address, the season, where she was and the prime minister. Obviously these aren't questions I would be asking her, but I didn't realise her memory had diminished so much.

He said there had been a major decline and asked what my worries were. I explained the sw had been out and she had refused all offers of help, bar the carer coming in the morning to make her tea and give her the tablets. she wasn't taking them properly either, and had forgotten how to put the telly on or use the phone.

dr said he felt she hadn't capacity to make her own decisions now....quite scary :(

In the meantime, the sitter who comes tuesday and thursday 7-10 has been given 2 more nights to come - (Sunday and Wed). This means I actually don't have to sit any evenings with her. Believe it or not, I do actually feel guilty about this - i'm never happy ) My mum is fuming about this and is being really awkward about the sitter. She won't get out of the chair in my house for me to take her home, and is deliberately stalling. The poor woman was standing in the rain tonight waiting.

She wants to be in her house, but not with the sitter, she thinks she wants to be in my house, but when it gets dark she wants home so it's a vicious circle. I stay overnight tonight, so she thought I was taking her home at 7 and that was me for the night! Then I get the whole "you don't give a damn about me, etc,etc"

SORRY I cantsay anything other than we are here for you and you are doing your best. What you are doing for your Mum is huge as its keeping her at home rather than somewhere she does not yet want to be. When that time comes it comes. Dont feel guilty, You are doing the best you can, trying to cope each day and just caring. That makes you a hero in my book. Im thinking about you tonight.

twinklestar

Sep 14, 2014

Sorry to hear about your mum. It is interesting when you are around the person you care for you sometimes do not notice the decline.

I am sure there are stages on this journey we are all on when we gets jolts like you have just had. A Practice Nurse recently came to give mum her yearly stroke review and commented to me how frail she had become in the last year. Abit of a shock.

My mum can be quite 'fiesty' as the carer puts it, but then again she can surprise you. For various reasons the normal carer is not available this week so iIwas expecting a bit of a make do and mend week with faces that mum did not know. and the assocaited problems. Once she would not let the carer in because she did not know her. Personally, I think mum did not like the look of her! Anyone the carer coming at lunch time today was unknown to mum. I was at work and was on pins till I knew she had been. I asked if the carer could contact me before she saw mum so I could brief her which she did. Mum let her in and all went well so you never know. The carer even took the trouble to call me to let me know everything was OK. Nice eh!

Anyway, what I think I am trying to say is there will be good and bad times and sometimes very bad days but there is always Talking Point. Thank goodness!

ali p

Aug 5, 2014
Sorry to hear this. Much love. don't forget people care about you too. xx