1. Expert Q&A: Protecting a person with dementia from financial abuse - Weds 26 June, 3:30-4:30 pm

Financial abuse can have serious consequences for a person with dementia. Find out how to protect a person with dementia from financial abuse.

Sam, our Knowledge Officer (Legal and Welfare Rights) is our expert on this topic. She will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 26 June between 3:30 - 4:30 pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

1. Bikingbint

Bikingbint Registered User

Jan 18, 2015
    Hi, I am looking for a care home for mum and had a rather stupid question. Does anyone have any experience of parent having to share a room in the care home and how they coped/liked it etc. Mum is LA funded and I like one place in particularly what is holding me back is that the room is a shared room.

2. cragmaid

cragmaid Registered User

Oct 18, 2010
    North East England
    Hi, no experience of shared rooms in CH but a couple of negative questions..... bearing in mind that Dementia is a potentially degregading illness, would you want your parent to been seen by a "sharee" or their visitors in a state of undress/unclean/ distress or to witness their roomie is a similar state?
    And...even if they get on initally, what if they fall out, fall out with visitors, squabble over possessions or what if the roomie died, would your relative want someone else in the room?

As a very temporary measure, if it is the ONLY suitable home, and if it is written in the care plan that a single room must be offered asap, then I might be prepared to accept....but it is a big IF.:rolleyes:

3. Bikingbint

Bikingbint Registered User

Jan 18, 2015
    I have decided to give the home with shared room a miss, I think I have found the ideal place and they have a vacancy at the moment, all fingers and toes crossed

4. cragmaid

cragmaid Registered User

Oct 18, 2010
    North East England
    ....glad to hear it:D:D:D