Unable to get a Dementia assessment in hospital

K&S Dad.

Dec 11, 2019
Hello all. Newbie here and hope someone can guide us in a direction where we can get some movement ? Mum has been in hospital over 8 weeks now. Initially admitted with an infection. This cleared up after week two. The hospital and social services carried out a capacity check on her and decided a Best Interest meeting should be called. I attended that meeting where they decided Mum “lacked capacity” to return home. She lives on her own in a Fold independent living apartment. I was told to find a temporary residential placement for her. I visited 7 that weekend. Most said no due to awaiting a Dementia assessment and wouldn’t consider her until this was completed. Mum doesn’t want to go into a care home so told the lady from the one I found for her to go away. Long story short ..... The hospital say they won’t do a Dementia assessment in hospital and most of the care homes have said they won’t accept her until one has been completed. So my question here is ..... where do they expect her to go so one can be completed. She has been bed blocking in a ward now for 6 weeks as refuses to go to a care home or to move from Belfast to me in London. Has anyone else encountered this? Thanks in advance.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Welcome to the forum.

She has been bed blocking in a ward now for 6 weeks as refuses to go to a care home or to move from Belfast to me in London.

Unfortunately there comes a time when you have to take control and consider the person's needs - not their wants - as very few people are likely to say that they want to go into a care home. As both the hospital and social services have deemed that your Mum does not have capacity that means that decisions have to be made in her best interests and it is not in her best interests to remain in hospital as it is a bad environment for the elderly and those with dementia.

I'm not familiar with the health system in Belfast but it can sometimes take quite a while to get a dementia diagnosis as it can involve various medical tests, scans etc. It seems from your post that there are some homes that will take your Mum prior to a dementia diagnosis and the fact that your Mum is telling them to go away when they visit to assess her in hospital shouldn't mean that they won't take her (do they know that she has been assessed as lacking capacity?). It's difficult when you are living such a distance away but could you contact the social worker again to explain the problems that you are having finding a placement and ask for their help in finding a suitable home?

K&S Dad.

Dec 11, 2019
Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately there comes a time when you have to take control and consider the person's needs - not their wants - as very few people are likely to say that they want to go into a care home. As both the hospital and social services have deemed that your Mum does not have capacity that means that decisions have to be made in her best interests and it is not in her best interests to remain in hospital as it is a bad environment for the elderly and those with dementia.

I'm not familiar with the health system in Belfast but it can sometimes take quite a while to get a dementia diagnosis as it can involve various medical tests, scans etc. It seems from your post that there are some homes that will take your Mum prior to a dementia diagnosis and the fact that your Mum is telling them to go away when they visit to assess her in hospital shouldn't mean that they won't take her (do they know that she has been assessed as lacking capacity?). It's difficult when you are living such a distance away but could you contact the social worker again to explain the problems that you are having finding a placement and ask for their help in finding a suitable home?
Hi and thanks
I’ve already been down that route with SWs. Groundhog Day with it. It’s basically a long winded story but I’ve told GP for two years we suspected onset dementia type symptoms and nothing was done etc. Mum has very very mild onset symptoms and we believe an increase in care package might be the answer NOT just dump her in a care home where she does not want at all. I’ve had to complain to the hospital trust to get any paperwork or minutes of the best interest meeting after 6 weeks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bcaputo5