Typing problems

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
I’ve not said anything about this before but the past few weeks have been more than extremely difficult for me ‘YET’ each day I still sit and fight with the computer and even more so trying to type on the key board, when I type it seems as though my brain, eyes and fingers aren’t in accord and just seem to be hovering back and forth over the keyboard waiting for instructions and then once they do get into action what comes up on the monitor has no relevance to what I wanted to type and looks more like hieroglyphics.

I know my eyesight is rapidly deteriorating along with my condition which is making typing even more difficult for me and my fingers seem to have taken to a mind of there own and I never seem to be able to hit the right key, there’s also a sense of all the letters on the keyboard merging together so when typing I seem to spend most of my time making spelling corrections, it was suggested to me that maybe I could use a voice recognition system but given the problem I now have specking without slurring and stuttering my words then it could take all day just to do a simple E-mail, so to say the problem is frustrating would be a gross understatement! So I just have to plod on as best I can…

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Barry I am sorry you are having these problems sometimes when I am tired I am the same but it must be awful for you if it's like that all the time it must be a real struggle but don't give up ,

Best wishes
Jeany x

Big Effort

Account Closed
Jul 8, 2012
Hello Barry,

As always your genius is expressing exactly what dementia is like from the inside. So valuable for us, but also I can see how frustrating and frightening this must be.

Just a thought....... I shall contact a friend of mine who has corneal problems and I know there are special keyboards and computer programs to assist those who are almost blind to keep using their computer. I will get back on this.

A second thought. Just for times when you want to get the message out, rather than fiddle around correcting spellings and so on..... does Sumi type? Do you know anyone who can type? I do this for my mother. She cannot use a computer anymore let alone recognise letters on a keyboard, or find what she is looking for. Sometimes I sit beside her and let her dictate what she wants to say to people, that way I can ensure the spelling and context are what she intends to write, but the thoughts are hers alone.

This must be very distressing for you. I can imagine how important the internet is for you in keeping contact with the bigger world - as it is for all of us now. I hope other people come up with some solutions to assist those who have vision problems or are not particularly dexterous with fingers.

I shall ask my clever husband. Solutions are there, so we need to find them. I hope I get back with some worthwhile information.

Is it still quiet in your house? Or have the family returned to the nest? Thinking of you, and Sumi too. We had a spectacular pre-thunderstorm kind of cloud, never seen it before, like an upside down basket of eggs, and when I see clouds I think of you. I hope you can guess why!

Love BE

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Hello Barry

It must be very difficult for you but please don't give up! The posts you type are always so eloquent and from the heart and help us all to have greater insight as to what sufferers experience.

I hope some of the tips above will work for you!

Keep up the good work, it's definitely worth it!

xx

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
Many thanks for your comments my friends, and thank you Claire as I will welcome any information about computer items that could make my typing less stressful ;)
Best wishes
Barry

Christin

Jun 29, 2009
Somerset
Hello Barry, I am so sorry you finding that typing is giving you some problems. I am glad you are plodding on, your view is really important to us. :)

Would it help you if you made the font a little larger. You can do this by clicking on 'sizes' at the top left of the message box. Apologises if you have tried this and it didn't work.

Very best wishes to you. x

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
Hi Christin and thnk you for your comments, it's the the font size that's the problem most of its down to my coordination, very bad eyesight and the keyboard, but thanks for the thought
Best wishes
Barry

CALLYDG

Jun 28, 2012
Well done Barry

Hi Barry,

Please keep going. There may be some aids on the internet to help you. You are a very special man to keep trying. Well done!

CallyDG:D

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hello Barry,

I'm just catching up and am sorry that you are experiencing these problems. I remember you mentioning it some time back when I recommended you check out voice recognition.

It will be wonderful if Claire can come up with something that will help you. Technology is amazing these days.

Love

oldeddy

Nov 28, 2012
France
Hi Barry,
joined the club about 18 months ago, and as time has pasted I am experiencing the same problems, mind you my spelling and use of English grammar was never up to much. I try to see the funny side of most of my problems, but it gets harder.
I am fortunate that I have reached 78 yrs of my life, and so it is easy for me, after all lots of folk consider old men GAGA so to an extent it is it expected of me.:rolleyes:
Barry, I have dark days and am sometimes feel that its really not worth the effort just to keep fighting, but hell, what if you **** up a word or two, use the wrong syntax who care's, I sure that the folk's on here couldn't give a dam.

From an Old Fart ( my Daughters name for me)

Last edited: