TV Licensing scam

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
I received an email today telling me:

"Your TV Licensing expired today" because:

"Your bank has been decline the latest Direct Debit payment."

The button to renew says: "Renew now your licence".

This is followed by a threat:

"Please take care of this straight away or we may be forced to cancel your licence or pass your details to a debt collection agency."

It is an obvious scam and not from the official TV licensing people. Moreover, as my wife qualifies for a free licence it is complete nonsense to suggest that I have a direct debit.

Worth noting though in case anyone you care for gets a similar email.

Last edited:

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
I always wipe my cookies and browsing history, then go on internet banking to check the actual situation when these emails arrive.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`ve had a few phone calls where an electronic voice with an American accent has told me my internet will be disconnected in 24 hours if..............and I haven`t stayed on long enough to find out why.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
And then there are the phone calls from scam telephone companies claiming that they can stop international sales calls for a monthly fee - they just need all your bank details including the numbers on the back to verify your identity!

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I received an email today telling me:

"Your TV Licensing expired today" because:

"Your bank has been decline the latest Direct Debit payment."

The button to renew says: "Renew now your licence".

This is followed by a threat:

"Please take care of this straight away or we may be forced to cancel your licence or pass your details to a debt collection agency."

It is an obvious scam and not from the official TV licensing people. Moreover, as my wife qualifies for a free licence it is complete nonsense to suggest that I have a direct debit.

Worth noting though in case anyone you care for gets a similar email.

Thankyou for bringing this to our attention.

MaNaAk

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
I have received the same email again today but from a different (and even more obviously not the official TV licence) address namely: TV Licensing <sales@liquidefxvape.com>

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
I have just experienced something odd.

I received the fairly common automated call saying my BT internet is about to be disconnected - don't have BT, didn't even listen to end of message. Two minutes later my mum, pwd, phoned me to say she had received the same spam message - does not have Internet.

As she has withheld calls blocked, when she dialled 1471, she was given an obviously foreign number, which thankfully she did not phone. I cannot get her to stop using 1471, she does it several times a day even if no one has phoned her!

jen54

May 20, 2014
I was about to post this, I posted on Facebook.
Both husband and I received the emails.
The TV licence has an official site you can check your license, ours was just fine.
The clue is the wrong license number on the email..And the offer of discount if you pay now, and the threat of outside debt collectors if you don't.

I think as the end of year approaches, and people are busy with Xmas, there will be a lot of scams.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sandzz