Trying to get help

Victoria52p

Feb 28, 2024
Hello, My husband and myself care for mum who has vascular dementia and Alzheimer’s. She lives on her own and has up till recently coped very well. Unfortunately mum is struggling to cook ready meals in the oven and we have had a few instances. Introducing a new appliance like a microwave is not an option as mum can’t grasp new appliances. We have trawled the internet and phoned numerous people to try and source the good old fashioned meals on wheels service but seem to have no such service available in our area due to being in rural south west England. How do others cope with this situation and any advice on what we could do.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hello and welcome Victoria. I found a .gov (so government (so UK government owned site) you put in a postcode and it tells you what's available in the area England and Wales anyway.
I used the postcode for my boat out in Cheshire not home here in 30 miles away and I was surprised how much was available.
When you're searching what do you type in, without putting in postcodes or anything, just the words you use in the search is enough. K

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Have you tried the local council website for support for adults. Alternatively contact the local adult social services and ask what there is on offer. It may be a local charity rather than something run by the council but they usually have a central online information service.
Also it might be worth you seeing if you have a local carers centre, they may be able to point you in the right direction.

Victoria52p

Feb 28, 2024
Hello and welcome Victoria. I found a .gov (so government (so UK government owned site) you put in a postcode and it tells you what's available in the area England and Wales anyway.
I used the postcode for my boat out in Cheshire not home here in 30 miles away and I was surprised how much was available.
When you're searching what do you type in, without putting in postcodes or anything, just the words you use in the search is enough. K
Thank you, I did try this and unfortunately there is no local support. We are now looking at organising someone to come in and help cook but this is also proving to be difficult.

Victoria52p

Feb 28, 2024
Have you tried the local council website for support for adults. Alternatively contact the local adult social services and ask what there is on offer. It may be a local charity rather than something run by the council but they usually have a central online information.
Also it might be worth you seeing if you have a local carers centre, they may be able to point you in the right direction.
Thank you for your help. I will take a look.

Reb20

Jan 25, 2024
Hi, my mum is also at this stage. She seems to have largely lived off soup for years; my sister and I each cook a proper meal once a week. She has been attempting to heat soup and sometimes forgetting it (and we find it in pans and bowls scattered about the kitchen) or has burnt it.

Due to the burning saucepans and a realisation that she may not be eating - from next week a carer is going in 5 days a week, primarily to make sure she eats. But... and there seems always a but when it comes to helping people with dementia, mum's sense of time slips, it's moved 30 minutes forward this year- this week she started eating lunch at 11.30 am - and that is sometime before the carer comes to prepare food. And she often says she's not hungry. I think ultimately she'll end up with lots of small meals and the carers can kindly but forcibly provide a hot snack- if she leaves it so be it. It's definitely tricky. By mid summer I expect mum's sense of time will be well adrift. Good luck finding a solution.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Catnap23