Truly Remote Prevision Key Fob?

SMBeach

Apr 19, 2020
Hello.
I bought key fobs for dad which I attached to all the items he frequently loses. All he had to do was press the appropriate button on the base unit, and walk around with the unit in his hand whilst following the beeping noise til he finds the object. Great. But then he loses/misplaces the base unit so no longer can use it. Also, as his memory goes, I predict he would forget what the base unit is for anyway or how to use it.

So what I need is a key finder that I can use instead. For me to have control and responsibility for setting of the beeping alert that dad can follow til he finds it. It has to be something that doesn’t require me to be in his home. It needs to work via my phone or my computer from long distance. Ie: between Kent and Scotland.

I do have apple devices and use the ‘Find My’ app frequently for my own stuff. But all that does is give an address. I already know dads keys are in his house. I need something that actually sets off an alarm on the object so dad can still follow the noise and find it.

So far, everything I’ve found requires the phone or computer to be within a certain range. Working via Bluetooth or WiFi etc. I can’t find anything such as the Find My app that also sets off an alarm and works from a great distance.

The idea is that dad would tell me he can’t find his keys. I go into my phone or computer down here in Kent, 500 miles away, and search for the item, setting off its alarm for dad to follow.

Has anyone found something like this? I really need something like this to attach to his keys, wallet etc. thank you.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Is the noise that AirTags make not loud enough?
Is he a bit hard of hearing?

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @SMBeach , I don't know if this site will help. You just answer a few questions and it comes up with some suggestions.
I do think that your dad has probably got to the stage where he needs someone around all the time. I doubt he'll agree to move down to a care home near you, so you might be waiting for a crisis ends him up in hospital before you can sort something out.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Like this
Terrible photo but if you click on it you can see

Attachments

• 0D455101-0FB7-4FB6-922D-F4B674D9C57F.jpeg
    0D455101-0FB7-4FB6-922D-F4B674D9C57F.jpeg
    157.7 KB · Views: 157

SMBeach

Apr 19, 2020
Like this
Terrible photo but if you click on it you can see
Oh!! Is that through the Apple Find My App?
Can you be anywhere in the U.K. and find the fob by tapping on the button that says play sound?
Even if miles away from the actual lost item?
If you are saying yes to all of the above then I’ll be over the moon!
So, are the alarms/fobs those little round apple discs I’ve seen online?

SMBeach

Apr 19, 2020
Hi @SMBeach , I don't know if this site will help. You just answer a few questions and it comes up with some suggestions.
I do think that your dad has probably got to the stage where he needs someone around all the time. I doubt he'll agree to move down to a care home near you, so you might be waiting for a crisis ends him up in hospital before you can sort something out.
I’ll check out the site thank you. Dad wasn’t totally against the idea of moving down here at one point. I pointed out that if he was down here he’d have visitors. Me. My children. I could take him out for the day. Have him for Sunday dinner. Christmas. I can’t do any of that with the distance between us. He doesn’t have any friends to visit. He would miss one neighbour who pops in occasionally but not often. I think he’d gain much more being down here than staying up there but obviously he needs to see that for himself. I know I wouldn’t want to move to the other end of the country but putting things into perspective I think it makes sense. I can make sure I’m there for him when it matters. I just can’t from down here and me moving is not an option.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Oh!! Is that through the Apple Find My App?
Can you be anywhere in the U.K. and find the fob by tapping on the button that says play sound?
Even if miles away from the actual lost item?
If you are saying yes to all of the above then I’ll be over the moon!
So, are the alarms/fobs those little round apple discs I’ve seen online?
Yes
£29 pounds each or change out of £100 for four.

so easy to set up you hold them over your IPhone and the phone goes ‘ munch’ with the information and it’s all set up, all you do is type in the name of the disc
( because I have more than one they have different names).

Not sure about the distance. I would have tried testing it for you, but my ‘ helper’ has dementia and is selectively deaf so it might be a challenge.

The keyring holders are very cheap on eBay.
I purchased my discs on eBay.

I also have one in my car as it will alert me if it is stolen.
I forgot where I parked in the Gatwick long stay car park ( huge mistake it’s the size of Basildon) but went on the the ‘find your phone’ and tracked the car with no problem at all!
I love AirTags

SMBeach

Apr 19, 2020
Thanks for that. I use Find My lots for tracking things (and children), I really need to investigate if me pressing ‘play sound’ will work if my phine is 500 miles away from the AirTag. If I need to be within blue tooth range when trying to play sound then it won’t do what I need to do. I will investigate this. Thank you. 🙂

Chaplin

May 24, 2015
Bristol
Thanks for that. I use Find My lots for tracking things (and children), I really need to investigate if me pressing ‘play sound’ will work if my phine is 500 miles away from the AirTag. If I need to be within blue tooth range when trying to play sound then it won’t do what I need to do. I will investigate this. Thank you. 🙂
Was interested in this idea but looking online just found this….

Attachments

• 39CF382F-887D-4070-977B-D3C3F079ECFA.png
    39CF382F-887D-4070-977B-D3C3F079ECFA.png
    242.4 KB · Views: 145

SMBeach

Apr 19, 2020
Funnily enough I’ve just finished reading that entire article. Unfortunately it doesn’t do any more than other key finders. Somebody needs to design one! They’d fill a gap in the market for sure that all the others miss! 🙂

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Thank you Chaplin, it so nice of you to pitch in to our problem solving, and while I’m thanking, thank you @Sarasa, meetadam Is great, so good to have it highlighted.

Another (expensive) thought.
Buy dad an IPhone 11 or newer.
( the Aerial on the 12 ‘s are far superior)
and get help via an Alexa echo show when things go wrong?

I can hear everyone screaming ‘ how much’
but by my estimation
half a weeks care home fees.

SMBeach

Apr 19, 2020
Thing is, dad has good pensions and a very healthy bank account so cost isn’t an issue if I can find the right equipment. I’ve just purchased the MyHomehelper kit via the Adam website link so grateful for that as I’d been thinking of getting it. I also just bought the chipolo one spot as it works on dads iPhone. I’m going to rid his phine off apps he doesn’t need to use and put main contacts on his home screen including the FindMy app that the chipolo one spot works with. He will have to be the one to find his keys using the app sound function as there are none on the market that enable me to do that from here.

Last edited:

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Thing is, dad has good pensions and a very healthy bank account so cost isn’t an issue if I can find the right equipment. I’ve just purchased the MyHomehelper kit via the Adam website link so grateful for that as I’d been thinking of getting it. I also just bought the chipolo one spot as it works on dads iPhone. I’m going to rid his phine off apps he doesn’t need to use and put main contacts on his home screen including the FindMy app that the chipolo one spot works with. He will have to be the one to find his keys using the app sound function as there are none on the market that enable me to do that from here.
That’s a great plan.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
A bit of superglue on the loop of the keyring never goes amiss.
It might mean you need to saw it off in the future, but who cares?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Portreeve