Treasured days

beckibee

Jun 20, 2013
Hi I care for my mum with severe Alzheimer's and I just thought I would share my little story . My mum has very little communication and spends most days sleeping or looking quite vacant, she is 100% reliant on my dad and I to care for her. Monday this week I had to call an ambulance and go to a& e as she had a seizure, not something that had occurred before. She was allowed home the same day and then slept for the rest of the day and most of Tuesday. Along comes Wednesday,she is awake when I go in at 9 is normally sleeps longer, I say hello Valerie, she replies with hello, I then ask as normal are you OK today, again she replies with yes thankyou. This may not sound much but it meant the world to me. She carried on answering various questions if fact during Wednesday my dad and I got more conversation from her than in the past year. Upon having breakfast some children were passing and I said for her to look out of the window at them , and she did and smiled, I was so happy . She hardly slept Wednesday and was very alert all through the day,as bedtime she said goodnight. Today was much the same she went of to day centre after saying goodbye. Now I'm not saying a miracle had happened or that she won't revert back to what she was like but I just wanted to share this treasured moments with you. We take each day as it comes some are bad but oh for the days like yesterday and today.

Shabba

Apr 9, 2016
Hi I care for my mum with severe Alzheimer's and I just thought I would share my little story . My mum has very little communication and spends most days sleeping or looking quite vacant, she is 100% reliant on my dad and I to care for her. Monday this week I had to call an ambulance and go to a& e as she had a seizure, not something that had occurred before. She was allowed home the same day and then slept for the rest of the day and most of Tuesday. Along comes Wednesday,she is awake when I go in at 9 is normally sleeps longer, I say hello Valerie, she replies with hello, I then ask as normal are you OK today, again she replies with yes thankyou. This may not sound much but it meant the world to me. She carried on answering various questions if fact during Wednesday my dad and I got more conversation from her than in the past year. Upon having breakfast some children were passing and I said for her to look out of the window at them , and she did and smiled, I was so happy . She hardly slept Wednesday and was very alert all through the day,as bedtime she said goodnight. Today was much the same she went of to day centre after saying goodbye. Now I'm not saying a miracle had happened or that she won't revert back to what she was like but I just wanted to share this treasured moments with you. We take each day as it comes some are bad but oh for the days like yesterday and today.

I so agree beckibee, treasure it. My mum doesn't know I'm her daughter, but I took lots of new clothes to her in her NH, and she unexpectedly pulled my face down to kiss me to thank me, and said "you're so kind, my daughter is kind too". Cue tears from me, but I'll treasure that forever. A million pounds wouldn't buy these memories would they xx

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Treasured memories indeed.

When mam and dad came round on Sunday, I opened the front door and as I was helping her over the threshhold, mam opened her arms and gave me a big hug and smile. She doesn't know who I am but somehow she must know that I am someone who loves her, and she loves me.

My mam went through a long period of being aggressive and absolutely vile to me, so these treasured moments mean the world to me.

Cazb78

Oct 6, 2016
This gives me hope because at the moment my mum is horrible to me and my dad. I know it's the disease but it's so hard to want to help someone who's continually being unpleasant and who says it's us who need help! The only thing to have calmed her down is anti psychotic medication. Treasure these moments with you mum x

Louby65

Mar 26, 2014
Scotland
Hi beckibee, your post made me smile as it reminded me so much of myself . Like your mum , mines doesn't say much at all and as this disease progresses , what she does say is incoherent most of the time . Then , out of the blue she will look at me , if I'm getting ready to go out and say ' you look lovely ' . Or when she tells me ' I love you', clear as anything . The best one is when I ask her my name and she remembers - it's like Christmas ! Small things but mean so much . So I am hoping that your mum continues to be give you some hope and make you smile for as long as possible . My best wishes to you and your mum . Lou