Tracking devices and other technology

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
http://www.atdementia.org.uk/product

I have been looking at the products on offer at the above page with a view to buying the Buddi system. This has a price of around £250 plus £5 a week. There are are cheaper items on offer. The issue is that I have to be with my husband all of the time because he gets lost each time he goes out. As the nights get lighter he will want to go out more and I must have a way of keeping track of him. At present I am using our mobile phones but this is expensive and when I get to where we last spoke he has usually moved on!

What systems do you use to track your family members with dementia?

Last edited:

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
How much does the Ostrich GPS Tracker cost?
The tracker is **FREE of charge to anyone with any form of Dementia or in the process of diagnosis.

No intrusive questions or checks will be made, you will simply be asked to confirm this at ordering and will be automatically registered as an Ostrich user.

Monitoring Costs
The monitoring cost for the tracker is an annual subscription of £198 plus VAT* - if applicable see VAT exemption statement. You will only need to pay for four months monitoring costs in advance when ordering. We will contact you after delivery to arrange either a monthly direct debit, pay pal auto pay, or for you to pay the remaining months by cheque.

http://www.ostrichcare.co.uk/care/gps-trackers/how-to-buy-a-gps-tracker.aspx

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Nitram what kind of device is this. There is no indication how it fixes on to the person being tracked.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I use a Buddi but we got it supplied by our council's telecare team for free! Doesn't do any harm to enquire but if you have to buy it, for god's sake get an insurance plan with it as these gadgets are fragile and we've had to replace ours about three times already!

Cloverland

Jun 9, 2014
Nitram what kind of device is this. There is no indication how it fixes on to the person being tracked.

Can be worn around the neck on a band, fixed to a key ring. My dad had one. You either ring the call centre to find out where person is or a geofence can be set up around the home. If the person is 'missing' the police are requested to retrieve the person as a top priority. But with one of these the persons location is reported within seconds.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
http://www.atdementia.org.uk/product

I have been looking at the products on offer at the above page with a view to buying the Buddi system. This has a price of around £250 plus £5 a week. There are are cheaper items on offer. The issue is that I have to be with my husband all of the time because he gets lost each time he goes out. As the nights get lighter he will want to go out more and I must have a way of keeping track of him. At present I am using our mobile phones but this is expensive and when I get to where we last spoke he has usually moved on!

What systems do you use to track your family members with dementia?
From what you have said your husband is quite happy carrying around a mobile phone. If that is correct there are many free "apps" available that will you track that phone and do not rely on the last time you spoke.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
He hasn't a clue on the mobile phone and only responds to me - haphazardly at that. That is why I must get some other system. He has a bad knee which limits his walking but when he is in a wandering mood he lopes along at unbelievable speed!

I don't think our LA does the Buddi for free anymore but thanks for the tip about insurance. I will be enquiring over the next week and then make up my mind. I would rather he didn't go out on his own at all but I can't tie him up!

Cloverland

Jun 9, 2014
He hasn't a clue on the mobile phone and only responds to me - haphazardly at that. That is why I must get some other system. He has a bad knee which limits his walking but when he is in a wandering mood he lopes along at unbelievable speed!

I don't think our LA does the Buddi for free anymore but thanks for the tip about insurance. I will be enquiring over the next week and then make up my mind. I would rather he didn't go out on his own at all but I can't tie him up!

The ostrich one allows for a geo fence to be set up around your home, if this is broken an immediate alert goes to the monitoring centre, they will call you on a given number for you to either confirm or not that he has left the building. If he has the police are immediately called to retrieve him back to where he should be and will usually stay with him until you or another person can stay with him. Their priority is to ensure the safety of the vulnerable adult. If he has regular places during the week that he visits e.g. Day centre you just tell them and they monitor to ensure user does go where he is supposed to go. If you go out just ring them, not a problem, they then don't respond to the alert. They set up a protocol of people to contact or take instruction from, so is very secure.

Cost = £4.15 per week.

Last edited:

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
i have an app on my phone called mapmywalk I think I can link it to someone else who becomes my friend using the same app and they can see exactly where I am in real time, but I havent tried it yet

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
He hasn't a clue on the mobile phone and only responds to me - haphazardly at that.
My mistake for not being clear. Your husband does not need to know how to use the phone at all. I should have asked...."Does he always take his phone with him?":)

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ResearchGal1