Top up fees

anniedes

Dec 3, 2023
Recently my Mum who has Dementia has been on an assessment bed 4 weeks LA funded and they arranged it DTA, why do I have to pay a large top up feel they never advised this, does anyone have any information, my Mum or I cannot afford this amount, will I be forced to pay, stressed out 😞

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
You don't have to pay what is called a third party top up. Patient is the first party, local authority/NHS are the second party and you are the third party.
Please phone the helpline on here for a bit of help, you can't put too much personal info on here, make the call, please. K

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @anniedes if your mum has been placed in a care home under the discharge to assess (D2A) process following a hospital discharge then the bed should be fully funded whilst the assessment period is ongoing, without the requirement for a top up payment. Who has advised you that you need to pay a top up?

anniedes

Dec 3, 2023
Thankyou for your replies, the assessment bed was not from hospital, Mum was admitted by LA decision to admit, I did choose the care home but they didn't advise how much the top up fee was, it's all so complicated LA are not being really presice, what's the helpline number please 🥺

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Thankyou for your replies, the assessment bed was not from hospital, Mum was admitted by LA decision to admit, I did choose the care home but they didn't advise how much the top up fee was, it's all so complicated LA are not being really presice, what's the helpline number please 🥺

Here’s the link to the Support Line -

The number is 0333 150 3456

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Have you signed a contract?

Did you choose a home that accepted council funded patients? Not all do.

How much are they asking for?

anniedes

Dec 3, 2023
Yes I did sign a contract, but hey now they are saying I shouldn't have paid so it's being looked into, anyone on here who has to have there loved one admitted into a care home please check the finances first, thankyou all for your advice 🙂