Tom,Dick and Harry

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
Hi everyone ,I don't know if anyone experiences what i am about to say,no offence to anyone with this disease but this made me laugh today.I went to see mum and dad and mum was crawling the walls.Why?because for the past week dad has been getting up and putting "the great escape" dvd on.continuous for the last few days.he doesn't read the papers anymore,just puts the dvd on.Mum said "by the jumping jesus christ almighty""when you take him can we have 4 coffins,one for Brian ,one for Tom,one for Dick and one for Harry,he won't settle if their not with him".I had to laugh at her humour because its not often seen since dad got ill.love elainex:)

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Hi Elaine,
Tell your mother there's a bright side to this - at least when he's watching the DVD, she doesn't have to worry about him.

Interesting choice, I think. Maybe on some level it's what he wants to do but can't.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I wonder if there is any similarity between this and the way that young children will watch the same thing over and over (and over and over) again. I mean they know the plot but they will watch it again and again, and for them, it seems to be a comfort thing: like a well worn blanket or something. Perhaps it's to do with the absolute certainty: you know what's going to happen next, so if you "phase" out for a while you can pick up the story line immediately. Even today there are some episodes of certain children's tv programs that I could repeat verbatim. (E.g. "Lets call it cooperation" "No, lets call it Shirley" courtesy of Sesame Street :eek: )

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Aahh, Jennifer, so that`s why I`ve watched `The King and I`, and `Seven Brides for Seven Brothers` 101 times. ;)

Love xx

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
Hi everyone,Just spoke to mum.the dvd has been on only twice today.Dad said he is fed up of the same thing being on telly day in day out!Mum said "welcome to my world".Shes getting a lot better at dealing with him now.she doesn't get as aggravated as she used to.My sister and i are planning a holiday for us all next year.Let him see his beloved Turkey probably for the last time.love elainex

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fool for love