Toilet

Moyra C

Mar 26, 2023
Does anyone else have issues with OH needing the toilet. Going to toilet but can’t do anything. Coming away then 5 mins later trousers are wet.
He wears pull ups. We try to get him to tuck into it. But lately he is wetting some
Many pairs and needing change

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Does anyone else have issues with OH needing the toilet. Going to toilet but can’t do anything. Coming away then 5 mins later trousers are wet.
He wears pull ups. We try to get him to tuck into it. But lately he is wetting some
Many pairs and needing change
Hi, my oh is similar. I go with him now and ensure he pulls the pull up down rather than get himself out of the leg. I noticed that when he was getting himself out that the wadding /padding of the pull up was getting displaced so it wasn't as thick and my OH was getting leaks when he was wet.

Think it is just dementia progression a my oh is now becoming bowel incontinent too.

Moyra C

Mar 26, 2023
In the scheme of things it doesn’t seem a big issue. But it makes me so mad. I can stand with him at the toilet help him tuck in. Then several minutes later he is telling me he needs to change his trousers. I then end up shouting. Then feeling bad.

I am sure it’s not how he wants to be. Now I need to get several pairs dry in the dryer for tomorrow.

I have had period of bowel incontinence too seems to go in cycles.

And like children it always happens when you are about to go out or go somewhere and then you end up being late

Moyra C

Mar 26, 2023
Has your husband been tested for prostate problems @Moyra C ?
I had to take him to the GP last week for something else. I had a chat with her re prostrate test. She is happy to do this and I am going to make a further appointment. I have noticed as I have been going with him that he can’t always go to the toilet. Or it takes a long time for him to do it. Dementia aside I think this is a good reason to test.
She will do blood test and rectal examination. But he was out of sorts last week so I think this might have been too much for him. Definitely going to get him tested though. Although I am under no illusions that it is not just another change and progression.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I remember mum going through this stage. She would sit on the toilet and tell me she just couldnt go and I would try things like running the tap to try and help.
Soon after she developed frank incontinence. I think the problem was that she was losing voluntary control

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
🤣I've tried the tap running too.! I hate it if he can't go before bed as I know there's a strong chance of a wet bed! It makes me doze rather than sleep properly so I can get him up around 2am to try again.. My OH mobility is now poor and getting out of bed is a problem in it's self.

What I find frustrating is when I've just changed him and he has a bowel accident and I have to start all over again! Pull ups are a nuisance as he doesn't follow instructions well and getting trousers off him is a nightmare. But.,..he needs them as he does still go to the toilet and the nappy type wouldn't work for him.

I've seen booster pads and wondered if they would be worth trying in the hope I could just remove the soiled part.

Oh the joys of a carer!

Chelseajude

Feb 10, 2021
Norwich
Moira, this is so familiar. My oh wears pull ups all the while but can’t always get himself properly tucked in to them. plus when he wees he ‘spurts’ rather than a proper stream. 5 minutes later he needs to go again. I go with him mostly but sometimes he goes without me and that’s when we usually get problems. He has been seen by the urologist and has an overactive bladder. His prostate is fine. They tried a catheter but he had really painful bladder spasms so that was removed. Thank goodness. So it’s pull up pants all day & night plus slip sheets masking taped to the bed sheet, which catches leakage. I hate waking up in a wet bed but that’s part of this horrid disease I guess. Hey ho.

Silversally

Aug 18, 2022
🤣I've tried the tap running too.! I hate it if he can't go before bed as I know there's a strong chance of a wet bed! It makes me doze rather than sleep properly so I can get him up around 2am to try again.. My OH mobility is now poor and getting out of bed is a problem in it's self.

What I find frustrating is when I've just changed him and he has a bowel accident and I have to start all over again! Pull ups are a nuisance as he doesn't follow instructions well and getting trousers off him is a nightmare. But.,..he needs them as he does still go to the toilet and the nappy type wouldn't work for him.

I've seen booster pads and wondered if they would be worth trying in the hope I could just remove the soiled part.

Oh the joys of a carer!
I recently bought my OH some jogging bottoms from M&S which actually look quite smart. Easier to get on and off than proper trousers with zips, button and/or clips. Have you tried this? I think washing will be easier too.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
I recently bought my OH some jogging bottoms from M&S which actually look quite smart. Easier to get on and off than proper trousers with zips, button and/or clips. Have you tried this? I think washing will be easier too.
@Silversally , Thank you. He's currently wearing some trousers ,rugby style? They are full elastic and sound similar. I need to get him some more so I'll look at m&s. . Getting him to pick his feet off the ground to get the trouser leg under us a work of art😂

Silversally

Aug 18, 2022
@Silversally , Thank you. He's currently wearing some trousers ,rugby style? They are full elastic and sound similar. I need to get him some more so I'll look at m&s. . Getting him to pick his feet off the ground to get the trouser leg under us a work of art😂
I know what you mean about getting the feet off the ground!

annieka 56

Aug 8, 2022
It certainly is...phew! I think when my husband is being co-operative he lifts each foot about a millimetre. You would be lucky to slide a sheet of paper under his foot. I have to manage this by lifting each leg up by tugging on his sock like a pulley. My wrists and fingers are well and truly ruined now. Then changing the socks themselves is a whole new ball game. I always think how on earth does he lift each foot up enough to walk, at all - which he does (non stop pacing.)
He does live in M&S cotton rich jogs then spends several days tying the cord into tight knots until I have to cut the cord off and wash them on a very hot wash to shrink them a bit.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
It certainly is...phew! I think when my husband is being co-operative he lifts each foot about a millimetre. You would be lucky to slide a sheet of paper under his foot. I have to manage this by lifting each leg up by tugging on his sock like a pulley. My wrists and fingers are well and truly ruined now. Then changing the socks themselves is a whole new ball game. I always think how on earth does he lift each foot up enough to walk, at all - which he does (non stop pacing.)
He does live in M&S cotton rich jogs then spends several days tying the cord into tight knots until I have to cut the cord off and wash them on a very hot wash to shrink them a bit.
@annieka 56 , I couldn't help but laugh when I read your post. I understand exactly . My oh is a nightmare with socks as well although thank goodness he isn't a pacer. His mobility is poor and needs a wheelchair when we go out if we go any real distance.

I understand the knot tying! I abandoned laces in his shoes for velcro fasteners when I had to undo ten knots one day before a hospital appointment .We were nearly late!

Have to say getting his arms in his shirt is nearly as bad and getting his vest off.....well...you may have read my post when I cut the vest off in exasperation

You are not alone

Moyra C

Mar 26, 2023
Moira, this is so familiar. My oh wears pull ups all the while but can’t always get himself properly tucked in to them. plus when he wees he ‘spurts’ rather than a proper stream. 5 minutes later he needs to go again. I go with him mostly but sometimes he goes without me and that’s when we usually get problems. He has been seen by the urologist and has an overactive bladder. His prostate is fine. They tried a catheter but he had really painful bladder spasms so that was removed. Thank goodness. So it’s pull up pants all day & night plus slip sheets masking taped to the bed sheet, which catches leakage. I hate waking up in a wet bed but that’s part of this horrid disease I guess. Hey ho.
Sounds similar. It’s not such a problem during night. Touch wood. Although we often get up in the night and do nothing. I have a protector e sheet in bed and he wears pull ups during night in preparation

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
Sounds similar. It’s not such a problem during night. Touch wood. Although we often get up in the night and do nothing. I have a protector e sheet in bed and he wears pull ups during night in preparation
I suspect it is the same M&S joggers as my husband wears - I actually tie a knot into each side of the cord (too tight for him to undo) at a satisfactory tightness then cut the rest of the cord off.