to use drugs or not ?

barbara h

Feb 15, 2008
county durham
If anyone read my post last week you will know that i had an upsetting visit with my mam crying and lashing out hitting things including herself. This has continued all week and i went with my husband to see her today to find her not so agressive but very distressed crying out for her mam and looking very uncomfortable slouched down in her wheelchair. They said at the home they are having trouble getting her to sit upright as when they try to lift her up she is very stiff and won't bend at the hips.

The care home manager came to talk to us and said she is not sleeping at night although she is in bed but again just restless and distressed. Her consultant is against giving her any type of sedation drug as she has had bad reactions to the ones they have tried in the past but myself and the people at the care home think a small dose may be worth a try - i just think what harm can it do at this stage.

We go on holiday a week on saturday for two weeks and worrying about if we will get there and something happening when i am away.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Her consultant is against giving her any type of sedation drug , as she has had bad reactions to the ones they have tried in the pas

Have you ask that question to the consultant " a small dose may be worth a try ?

I know it must be distressing for you also to see your mother in this distress stage , but I would listen more to the consultant then anyone else. also asking (s)he is they a medication that has not been tried that may be of help ?

Last edited:

Charlyparly

Nov 26, 2006
Lancashire
Hi Barbara,

I agree with Margarita. You should speak with her consultant and see what alternatives they can suggest, but avoid trying even a small amount of whatever she has reacted badly to previously.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I also think you should speak to the consultant. There are so many different drugs out there, I'm sure they haven't exhausted the list.

Perhaps a little tranquilizer only as required would work. Do keep a sharp eye on the medications though. Also remember that once something is prescribed, they do seem to keep a person on it forever. I've just spent the last few months sorting out my mother's meds.

I do think there is a place for medication, I simply think we have to keep monitoring all the time.

Good luck and I hope you find something so you can have a peaceful, relaxing holiday. Have a good holiday regardless what happens. There are some times when there is nothing we can do to change anything, we just have to accept it and move on.