To Fire, or Not to Fire?

Seaholly

Oct 12, 2020
That is my question!

We have used the same agency for Mum for just over a year and at first there were a few teething troubles, but we overcame those. We were promised the same person all the time for mum (it's only 18 hours a week - family do the rest) We had an issue with a carer not showing up and me only finding out mum was still stuck in bed at 1pm when someone tried to get in. This was sorted out and 'apparently' the person responsible lost their job. I was also assured by the director that we had been over-promised the '1 person only' and that person had also been disciplined.

We had a run of really excellent carers who Mum bonded with and who went over and above..........and then they left! We then went through a few carers and had a few interesting chats with some of the staff who had decided to leave. According to them, nobody actually lost their job and there is a constant lack of communication between carers and office staff. One person also said that the grading system for carers is not done on experience, as we had been lead to believe, but is based on who is full time and who is not. Having said all that, there is of course the possibility this person was just a disgruntled soon to be ex-employee!

We are now back with a very capable carer who does a great job and gets on with the family. However, the contact in the office has changed yet again and I'm back to feeling that the new person in charge seems to know nothing about mum or her family.

I have been working extremely long hours recently and I have an auto-immune disease that can lie dormant for months but once it flares up, it tends to keep flaring until I have a proper rest! Any other auto-immuners out there will confirm that AI conditions are tricky beasts to manage once they get the upper hand!

Due to changes within the agency and carers leaving, I was flexible about taking a respite break. My last one was November last year and I asked in early June. I was told it would be better to wait a while until Mum had built up a better rapport with a couple of new regulars. Then the school holidays came and I was told I'd be lucky to get a break because so many cares who didn't get the summer time off they had put in for were throwing sickies to take their children out! I finally got 9 days' respite this week, after requesting 14 days ideally, but pointed out I was so desperate, a minimum of 10 would do!

In those 10 days, OH and I have to clear out and prepare a room for Mum to come and live with us; try to fit in long overdue optician and hospital appointments; get finances and domestic paperwork in order and try to have a small rest!

Having said all that, compared to the other 2 local agencies we have tried - these guys are a-maz-ing!!!

I have just asked for a break in January and asked how much notice I need to give? I haven't received a straight answer yet.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
Unfortunately the change over of staff can be extremely high. We get settled for a couple of months then someone leaves and the company are short staffed so we have 4-5 different carers to cover from another area. We see them perhaps twice until the company recruits more staff and we then settle down again. Then it all starts over again in another couple of months.
I feel it doesn't do my OH any good. He may not remember the usual carers but I'm sure he feel comfortable with them because they are familiar. I winds me up but I'm afraid it's the nature of the beast. The communication from the office is appalling, something else that appears to standard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fraoch