TIA

mikeb2

May 17, 2022
My Poor husband been having pain and numbness in arm etc ad visit GP and has been told he had a TIA and his mobility now has decline so bad and but been struggling through for some time without complaint and with acute memory problems he been told to finish work immediate effect because he now been deem incapable so today he had to put in resignation notice to work, now he feeling a bit lost and worry things are now going to decline even further

mikeb2

May 17, 2022
If he is in a works pension scheme ask about ill health early retirement.
Yes he in the pension scheme and will in due course will be doing this- its the emotional issues that are more harder to deal with

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
My Poor husband been having pain and numbness in arm etc ad visit GP and has been told he had a TIA and his mobility now has decline so bad and but been struggling through for some time without complaint and with acute memory problems he been told to finish work immediate effect because he now been deem incapable so today he had to put in resignation notice to work, now he feeling a bit lost and worry things are now going to decline even further
Would it be better to go off work sick and then ask for retirement on the grounds of ill health? I'm not sure how easy it would be to get the pension once you have resigned. Often ill health pensions are enhanced if you don't have the years in .

Last edited:

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
I am so sorry to read this @mikeb2. This is going to be hard for you both to adjust to. Please keep posting, either for advice or just to talk about how you are feeling.

mikeb2

May 17, 2022
Would it be better to go off work sick and then ask for retirement on the grounds of ill health? I'm not sure how easy it would be to get the pension once you have resigned. Often ill health pensions are enhanced if you don't have the years in .
Thankyou Maggie6445- good advice , we have not written (meaning me has he cannot recognise words anymore ) the letter yet - his retirement age funny enough is just 5 months away, so will ask the GP to write an sick note out which should not be any trouble. And maybe wait the few months unless his place of work now deem him incapable then we will go down that route

Jan48

Apr 25, 2022
Thankyou Maggie6445- good advice , we have not written (meaning me has he cannot recognise words anymore ) the letter yet - his retirement age funny enough is just 5 months away, so will ask the GP to write an sick note out which should not be any trouble. And maybe wait the few months unless his place of work now deem him incapable then we will go down that route
If his retirement is 5 months away, ask gp to write a sick note to cover him for that period. Pl do not consider writing a resignation letter.

mikeb2

May 17, 2022
Another worrying issue is his speech getting very muddled and incoherent and when he does talk very quiet - how other people cannot understand this difficulty and take it for granted he able to talk on phone even when I try to explain- very sad and annoying to say the least

mikeb2

May 17, 2022
Strange - his employer has ask he attends occupational health assessment even though they know he not returning after the sick note ended- what should he do

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
@mikeb2 ,
hi, I'm not an expert but these are questions I would be asking myself. I don't know the type of works pension/ job your husband has but...

1 how long has he been off sick recently? Most employers who pay full pay while off sick have a limit , (maybe 6 months,?) and then half pay before finishes on ill health pensions. Is your husband nearing his limit?

2 an OH assessment may help to trigger early pension application and as he only has 5 months left before retirement , would that be sensible? It may be, if he's about to go on reduced pay??

3 I'd check the terms of his pension and what the employer is paying in terms of topping up statutory sick pay, if they are.

Maybe contact his personnel ,human resource( hate that, I wasn't a resource! )
Department or his union?

As I say I'm not an expert and employers and pensions schemes have their own rules.

Good luck x

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Strange - his employer has ask he attends occupational health assessment even though they know he not returning after the sick note ended- what should he do

I think he needs to attend to ensure he gets sick pay. Some large employers do this as routine when someone has had a certain amount of time off sick.

mikeb2

May 17, 2022
The trouble is when they know he will not be getting better in fact worse because of his illness , down they go with the capability route and he only been off a few days now so strange its so quick

Bevhar

Mar 23, 2023
This is so tough for you both May I ask how old is your husband My husband has had to give his job up it’s tough as that was routine in his life I’ve managed to organise groups for us to go to together & one day a week he goes for the day on his own Gets lunch there as well

mikeb2

May 17, 2022
This is so tough for you both May I ask how old is your husband My husband has had to give his job up it’s tough as that was routine in his life I’ve managed to organise groups for us to go to together & one day a week he goes for the day on his own Gets lunch there as well
My OH is 66 this year ad his hospital trying to organise meetings which he having difficult in wanting to attend-

Bevhar

Mar 23, 2023
My OH is 66 this year ad his hospital trying to organise meetings which he having difficult in wanting to attend-
Yes it’s young my husband is 68 Must be hard him not wanting to attend appointments I hope you can persuade him to go it’s so important for you both Keep posting on here there is so much helpful information

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ccop24