Thrown back into the vacuum of hospital communications

spirituscorpus

Sep 4, 2023
Mum took a small fall a few days ago but wasn't discovered for some time later prompting the paramedics to recommend her being properly assessed in hospital.

During routine exams they discovered she had pneumonia-her carer, myself and my wife have all been dreadfully sick with a really nasty virus over the last two weeks and poor mum suffered the most.

She's now in hospital and I am reminded yet again of how woefully poor and inadequate hospital communications are when it comes to dementia patients.

Trying to speak to a doctor is nigh on impossible as is even spotting one on the ward.

Mum was moved from an assessment ward to a different one but I very much feel that information which was given to the previous staff hasn't necessarily been passed to the new staff.
Trying to speak to any medical staff on the ward is really hard work. I am always polite and respectful but this tends to lead to many of them just buzzing past me.

Trying to speak to someone on the ward reception is often like trying to get served at a busy bar on a Saturday night where you feel practically invisible.

Does anyone have any advice on how to get clear information about our loved ones? Is it always this difficult?

Mumlikesflowers

Aug 13, 2020
Quite a lot of local carers organisations have a hospital liaison worker based in the hospital. I think they all have a Patient Liaison Service or PALS which you likely could drop into er maybe? I'm pretty sure that's the answer to being invisible. Get somebody whose job it is to support you to show up with you. Improving things for patients with dementia and their carers in hospitals is a topic they should immediately recognise and hopefully be eager to support around.

Alisongs

May 17, 2024
East of England
Mum took a small fall a few days ago but wasn't discovered for some time later prompting the paramedics to recommend her being properly assessed in hospital.

During routine exams they discovered she had pneumonia-her carer, myself and my wife have all been dreadfully sick with a really nasty virus over the last two weeks and poor mum suffered the most.

She's now in hospital and I am reminded yet again of how woefully poor and inadequate hospital communications are when it comes to dementia patients.

Trying to speak to a doctor is nigh on impossible as is even spotting one on the ward.

Mum was moved from an assessment ward to a different one but I very much feel that information which was given to the previous staff hasn't necessarily been passed to the new staff.
Trying to speak to any medical staff on the ward is really hard work. I am always polite and respectful but this tends to lead to many of them just buzzing past me.

Trying to speak to someone on the ward reception is often like trying to get served at a busy bar on a Saturday night where you feel practically invisible.

Does anyone have any advice on how to get clear information about our loved ones? Is it always this difficult?
Hopefully the hospital will have Dementia Support Workers. Check the hospital website. Very clued up

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jo Hefferman