This disease just keeps marching on !!

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
The
Alzheimer’s just Keeps
Marching On.

My God! Will they ever find a cure?

I am writing this just thirty minutes after my eldest granddaughter, her boyfriend and my great grandson “Logan” have just left after having their favourite roast dinner with us.
The time spent with family is so so precious.

I have always wanted somebody to find a cure soon so I can walk each of my three granddaughters up the aisle or at least watch them walk up it. Now? They are having grandchildren of their own and I want to watch them grow up for as long as I can, so much it hurts.

I know things are not quite right as I have mentioned before because during dinner I had more trouble finding my mouth than I have ever had. The hurt in my darling Elaine’s eyes was only surpassed by the hurt in my granddaughter’s eyes. Her boyfriend Ben was trying to talk about the last few days in the world cup but I unfortunately only managed to remember the awful result on Sunday.

Playing with my great grandson I was aware of eyes watching me with him, just in case I dropped him or something. I never would, but I can understand why. I struggled a little bit to keep up with the conversation and sometimes when I did say something it was received with a polite “Sorry Grandad, what did you say?” I now understand why some get so frustrated and some go into their shells because of the humiliation you still feel even though it’s with family and even though they are aware of my condition.

Maybe a cure is just around the corner? Maybe one day I will be stood there in the queue waiting for my “Miracle “Tablet.
Or maybe it will come too late for me, but do you know? Even if it is too late for me, I hope I live to see a cure and I would be happy in the knowledge that at last this awful illness has been stopped in its tracks!!

Until then, the Alzheimer’s marches on, but then again, so did “Hitler” and he was defeated by some very brave and good people who had the faith to carry on in the face of defeat.
And so must we, no matter what life throws at us, we must catch it, deal with it and do our own marching on until that day when a cure is found and dignity reigns!!

Always fighting,

Best wishes, Norrms and ever expanding family xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

larivy

Apr 19, 2009
essex
Norrms so sorry you had a bad day you have a great family behind you and im sure that will help
like you i pray for a cure and im sure one day there will be one i pray it will be in time for you Norrms because the world is a great place with you love larivy

PollyP.

Oct 8, 2009
Herefordshire UK
Dear Normms

Just want to say, your determination is so inspiring and encouraging.

Let's hope that the cure is just around the corner.

Love
Pauline

Winnie Kjaer

Account Closed
Aug 14, 2009
Devon
Hello Norrms
I agree, you are inspirational to say the least. So frightened and yet so positive. You truly are a remarkable man.

You are so aware of your loved ones feelings and their love for you and it must be what gives you such strength. Please do not feel silly, I am sure they admire you more than anything else for the way you handle the whole situation.

We all pray for a cure daily it would be fantastic if a breakthrough was to come in the not too distant future.
In the meantime hold on to the hope which gives us all strength to soldier on.

Love x

annyjoseph

Account Closed
Jul 20, 2010
annyjoseph
Yes,I am agree where there is hope, there is life!
It is nice you have so much caring family and take care of u.Don't worry you will get cure.Just keep the hope and believe in God.I will pray for u. Get well soon!

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
Hiya

Thank you joseph, thats the first time someone has said "Get well soon " to this disease !! Great attitude, thank you, best wishes, Norrms and family xxxxxxxxxxxx

Fenners

May 5, 2010
Essex
Hi

just found this thread, and your post made me cry, but i just want to say i think you are truly wonderful .... thats all just wonderful.

Much love and so many hugs xxxxxxxxxxx

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
Hiya

Thank you so much Fenners, sorry it made you cry but i always write from the heart, bst wishes, Norrms and family xxxxxxxxxxxxx

muse

May 27, 2008
Cambridge
Hi Norms

I've just been reading your life story and this thread (I don't come on TP every day, but when I do I always look for posts by you). They made me laugh and cry and took my mind off other things, just like any good story will. Your ability to face reality and keep marching on are so inspirational, you deserve a medal.

I'm optimistic about research in the battle against dementia. Maybe not in time to help my husband, but for you. In the meantime, keep up the awareness campaign. It can only mean better prospects for every current sufferer and carer.

Lots of love to you and your family - Kathy

PostTenebrasLux

Mar 16, 2010
London & Oxford
Norrms,
Whatever behaviour worried your parents, your wife, yourself, those around you, your mates, in the early days of your Life Story, you have more than compensated by the man you are now. The situation is far from ideal for YOU BUT your contribution to US is beyond considerable. Your ability to clearly describe - as a sufferer - what this disease is like, your direct knowledge, is worth gold to this Forum and to the medical AD world. Having the disease is one thing, living it another but being able to describe and share - pretty unique Norrms, and that makes you special.

Thank you, thank you.
and
Hugs
Martina

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
Thank you

All i can say is i am so humbled by your words, i`m just a northeren lad, who has seen a lot of life and now just want to do something i am rally passionate about. yes its a shame that its taken all this to find it but now i have, i will follow the path i have been given and hopefully leave a legacy to help others, best wishes, Norrms and family xxxxxxxxx

Starshine

May 19, 2009
Seaside
Hi Norrms

So Strong so determined, you make us all so very proud of you, so I have no idea how proud your family are of you, I am sure that cure will be just around the corner. In the meantime you have been a help and inspiration to so many on TP.

Starshine x

Haydar

Mar 13, 2010
Istanbul-Turkey
Hi Norrms

When I read your words saying ?during dinner I had more trouble finding my mouth than I have ever had? It deeply touched to my heart. Can it be a sign of progressing of the disease? I think only God knows.

As you know at the present all we have few drugs to improve our quality of life if we are lucky one. I said lucky because these drugs don?t work on half of the people or discontinue working after a period of time. You were lucky one since Ebixa? worked on you and hopefully will continue to work for many more years like it does in many other people.

However (maybe you already know) from Google search of ?Namenda plus Aricept? you can find a lot of articles saying when taken in combination, Namenda? plus Aricept? may work together to do more to help treat the symptoms of Alzheimer's disease (In USA Ebixa? is sold under the brand name as Namenda?).

So maybe it is time for you to consult your doctor to try the benefits of this combination. If I was in your age (I am 76.5) I will definitely do it, even NHS doesn?t pay the cost of it or it is against to NICE recommendation.

Best wishes to you and your family, Haydar

p.s. In Turkey a friend of mine is getting this combination since 3 years covered by Social Security of TR Government.

Reference: http://www.namenda.com/sections/30/how-does-namenda-work.shtml
________

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeacherSue