Think i have dementia

Kat61

Oct 11, 2017
I think i have dementia. Does it run in families? My mum had it possibly my dad but he wasnt diagnosed. Only today i got an appointment time wrong even though i had checked the card but i wrote wrong time on calender. This isnt the first time. I buy things then dont use them. I lack interest in most things .

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello Kat61
welcome to TP
I doubt there's carer or family member of someone diagnosed who hasn't had this thought cross their mind - we are so aware of what it means to have dementia, and almost can't help watching out for symptoms
it is possible for there to be a genetic element to Alzheimer's, it is rare though
and, of course, other conditions share some of the symptoms seen with dementia eg vitamin B12 deficiency, stress, depression ....
so probably a good idea to go have a chat with your GP who may well carry out some blood tests - best to make an appointment and put your mind at rest; worry itself can bring apparent memory problems and seem to highlight what are just everyday blips
best wishes

Last edited:

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I agree with Shedrech. Everyone forgets things occasionally, or misses appointments. When I was at the vehicle testing center last week for my car's road worthiness tests, two people in the space of half an hour came in having got their appointments wrong - in spite of both email and text reminders. One had the wrong day, the other had both the wrong day and was in the wrong city! It happens when we have a lot on our minds. And if we are worrying about the possibility of Dementia, then maybe we notice every little slip we make.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm another one. I'm sitting here waiting for a podiatrist who should have come at 1pm. I have no doubt that I've written the wrong date in my diary! It happens to us all but I understand how that feels when you've had/have dementia in your life.

Skylark33

Aug 26, 2016
Gosport, Hampshire UK
Hello Kat61,

I had the same worry, and it took me ages to see someone about it. When I did eventually see my GP, he sent me for tests and I found out that I have Alzheimer's Disease. But I am really glad that I did go to the doctor!

I am now on medication that makes me feel a lot better. I am making the best of my memory by always writing things down, usually on my phone. I have also been on a course with my partner, organised by the local medical centre for older people. That taught us what to expect, and made us realise that an Alz diagnosis is not the end of the world. I still have a driving licence after 2 years, though I admit that the annual driving tests are a bit scary!

Now I have joined this forum, of course, and it's very useful to hear of other peoples' experience. I have also met several other Alz people who live near me, so we patients and our carers can exchange information and support each other.

I think you'll find it better to see a doctor - if you do have dementia you will get a lot of help, and if you don't, well, you can have a party!

Best wishes, Martin

SnowWhite

Nov 18, 2016
Hello Kat61,

I had the same worry, and it took me ages to see someone about it. When I did eventually see my GP, he sent me for tests and I found out that I have Alzheimer's Disease. But I am really glad that I did go to the doctor!

I am now on medication that makes me feel a lot better. I am making the best of my memory by always writing things down, usually on my phone. I have also been on a course with my partner, organised by the local medical centre for older people. That taught us what to expect, and made us realise that an Alz diagnosis is not the end of the world. I still have a driving licence after 2 years, though I admit that the annual driving tests are a bit scary!

Now I have joined this forum, of course, and it's very useful to hear of other peoples' experience. I have also met several other Alz people who live near me, so we patients and our carers can exchange information and support each other.

I think you'll find it better to see a doctor - if you do have dementia you will get a lot of help, and if you don't, well, you can have a party!

Best wishes, Martin

I think you're right Skylark. alzheimers doesn't mean the end of the world. My Mums been diagnosed over a year now and hasn't deteriorated that much and she's 93 and we all make allowances for very elderly people anyway. I was taking her to a lovely dementia group once a week and met several much younger people diagnosed with Alzheimer's and they were doing just fine.

Kat - I'm just the same - I write myself endless notes. I have been learning poems by heart to keep my brain active, I knit and crochet and I must start doing crosswords again because I'm sure that helps. Good luck at the doctors. X

Sarah17

Oct 7, 2017
Warwickshire
Yes, I agree - visit the doctors. There's lots of help and support if you do have Alzheimers, and if you don't, then you can stop worrying and throw a party ! Best of luck

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fraoch