Think dad is at end stage Lewy Body

Chatty100

Sep 24, 2022
Hi! I'm Kirsty.

Dad was diagnosed about 7 years ago. It's been a rollercoaster. Mum has done all of his caring , which is ironic as he had been her carer for years as she's almost crippled with osteo and rheumatoid arthritis. Mum had her first proper break in mid June, while I stayed with dad to look after him. He could walk from bedroom to front room, and use the toilet, although urine incontinent, feed himself. He had horrible hallucinations,made inappropriate sexual comments, be grumpy and uncooperative. He was never nasty or aggressive.

At this point, there were still flashes of 'my dad' I became concerned as he began to slur his words, and had 'left the room' to a greater extent than usual. He looked similar to how he did after his stroke. He was admitted to hospital , much to his distress and disgust.

After 6 weeks he came home, no diagnosis, and a care package was in place. The care company had been told he was bed bound, although there was a hoist for him.

For the next 6 weeks he suffered with vomitting and diarrhoea almost daily. He was eating less than a toddler, and having to be fed. He was also apart from mum at night as the hoist was too wide for the bedroom door, and we didn't want him isolated in a bedroom all day.

Even so, I still got glimpses of 'my dad'.

My mum was insistent he could still stand. She only agreed to carers after lots of conversations with me, my sister and his doctors. Even so it was done with great reluctance. She got him standing, then fought for home physio. After one physio session, a Sara Stedy was delivered. No hoist, back to bed with mum, back into the wet room for showers!

The next day, hospitalised again for low blood pressure, kept in for low potassium. Was nil by mouth, all medication except Parkinson's patches stopped. On Thursday we were told if his potassium level didn't start to rise within 24 hours he wouldn't survive long. Mum wanted him home, but was told it wasn't possible as he had to have his heart monitored 24/7. They didn't rise.

Today I've been with him. He's now allowed water or apple juice. They've given him glucose and potassium drips, but none of his regular medication. I'm really confused as to whether he is near the end or not. He rallied today, I washed his hair and tried to respond to his unique conversation style !

The hospital is being uncooperative when questioned. I don't understand why they're trying again to raise his potassium level , when it's been unsuccessful for 10 days. He is having distressing and disturbing hallucinations.

I just wondered if anyone had experienced this, or if anyone could shed some light on the hospital's thinking.

Thank you so much, sorry it's so rambling

Kirsty x

Last edited:

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Hullo and welcome, Kirsty @Chatty100. Not sure what to say to help you, its's been pretty hard work for your family over so many years. I just wanted to say hullo and let you know you are among friends here who understand.

Chatty100

Sep 24, 2022
Hullo and welcome, Kirsty @Chatty100. Not sure what to say to help you, its's been pretty hard work for your family over so many years. I just wanted to say hullo and let you know you are among friends here who understand.
@nae sporran
Thank you Sorry, it posted before I could finish . Trying to finish now Kirsty

Last edited:

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello Kirsty @Chatty100
Im so sorry to hear about your dad. It all sounds terribly stressful.
When people with dementia are at End of Life it can be a real roller coaster. They hang on for much longer than you would think possible (mum lasted 17 days with no food or fluid) and they rally more often than you would think (I was told three times previously that mum was at End of Life, only for her to rally).

You are unlikely to get answers to your questions at the weekend, so I would try getting hold of a doctor late Monday morning after ward rounds to ask questions. Sometimes, though, you can only wait and see what happens.

xxx

Chatty100

Sep 24, 2022
Hello Kirsty @Chatty100
Im so sorry to hear about your dad. It all sounds terribly stressful.
When people with dementia are at End of Life it can be a real roller coaster. They hang on for much longer than you would think possible (mum lasted 17 days with no food or fluid) and they rally more often than you would think (I was told three times previously that mum was at End of Life, only for her to rally).

You are unlikely to get answers to your questions at the weekend, so I would try getting hold of a doctor late Monday morning after ward rounds to ask questions. Sometimes, though, you can only wait and see what happens.

xxx
Thank you @canary. It's just so hard seeing him so uncomfortable and distressed, just want his pain to go away xx

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deirdra