1. Expert Q&A: Living well as a carer - Thurs 29 August, 3-4pm

As a carer for a person living with dementia, the needs of the person you care for will often come before your own. You may experience a range of difficult emotions and you may not have the time to do all the things you need to do. Caring can have a big impact on both your mental and physical health, as well as your overall wellbeing.

Angelo, our Knowledge Officer (Wellbeing) is our expert on this topic. He will be here to answer your questions on Thursday 29 August between 3-4pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

The Mystery of the Pong in the Night

Discussion in 'I have a partner with dementia' started by Eleonora, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Eleonora

Eleonora Registered User

Dec 21, 2012
    Abingdon Oxfordshire
    Just before Christmas day, I became aware of a very definite pong in the air.
    Naturally, having checked the soles of my shoes, I looked accusingly at Lola, my fairly recently re-homed dog. (Maltese X Chihuahua.)
    She had not been house trained when she arrived, and maybe I was wrong to believe that she was making great strides with her regular comfort breaks.

She gave me her best, ‘No, not me Guv!’ look, but could I really believe her?

Where could the source of that pong be? It seemed to have the ability to drift languidly from room to room. The last straw was when it appeared in the bedroom.
    I emptied the linen basket, thinking that a slowly moldering flannel was lurking at the bottom, but nothing there.

Now. My dear OH can get from the bedroom to the loo, with a little support from me, using one of those triangular wheeled walkers.
    You know; the ones with a waterproof bag in which he could keep small objects?

You’re ahead of me aren’t you?

The walker toppled over as my husband, ‘Sat On’ and two giant, slightly fossilized poos rolled out from the pocket, and onto the floor - leering at me.

It was all slightly biblical – remember Ruth’s stirring declaration to her Mother in Law: ‘Wither thou go-est, there go I also.’

Well, wither Mike’s walker went, there went the pong also.

It was Alimentary my dear Watson.

2. marionq

marionq Registered User

Apr 24, 2013
    Female
    Scotland
    A sense of humour is definitely an asset in the wicked world of dementia.

3. LYN T

LYN T Registered User

Aug 30, 2012
    Brixham Devon
    Sorry, I laughed out loud:D Poor Lola must have breathed a sigh of relief when the truth (or should that be the poo) came out:D

4. Benrese

Benrese Registered User

Apr 12, 2014
    Lancashire
    Haha! Well spotted!

You know what I've been thinking lately? Well...after giving birth to a son, and watching him go through his younger "toilet jokes and poo is funny" phase when he was from 5-12 years old-I've come to a conclusion. Poo gets funny again in our later years! So, it DOES come back round! :D

5. Delphie

Delphie Registered User

Dec 14, 2011
    Brilliantly and vividly narrated. Thank you! :D

6. Trisha4

Trisha4 Registered User

Jan 16, 2014
    Yorkshire
    Thank you Eleanora for turning your situation into a tale we could all smile at. As someone said, a sense of humour is really beneficial.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point mobile app

7. truth24

truth24 Registered User

Oct 13, 2013
    North Somerset
    A sense of smell as well as a sense of humour is useful, as I used to find to my cost

Sent from my GT-N5110

8. Chuggalug

Chuggalug Registered User

Mar 24, 2014
    Norfolk
    Ewww, as they say in the movies! Glad you were able to suss that out, Eleanora. That would have driven me right up the wall.

Can the bag be removed and chucked in the washing machine?

9. Oxy

Oxy Registered User

Jul 19, 2014
    So funny to read and written so engagingly but poor you! Sometimes a lack of sense of smell would be useful if on command!