The heart keeps on beating

Muggers

Mar 18, 2024
Yet another day and my darling mum continues to fight, we are into the seventh week now after being told we would be lucky to have her with us for two, she hasn’t had food for over three weeks, just sips of tea and the odd beaker of warm ribena, the carers gave her a full body wash and change of nightwear today, seeing her frail tiny skeletal body laying there will haunt me forever, the trinity carers called today and were amazed to hear that she is still with us, they offered to take her into the hospice but we declined, we want to keep her at home where we can look after her. I’m on the edge literally, how much longer!

sue31

Oct 2, 2023
Medway
Yet another day and my darling mum continues to fight, we are into the seventh week now after being told we would be lucky to have her with us for two, she hasn’t had food for over three weeks, just sips of tea and the odd beaker of warm ribena, the carers gave her a full body wash and change of nightwear today, seeing her frail tiny skeletal body laying there will haunt me forever, the trinity carers called today and were amazed to hear that she is still with us, they offered to take her into the hospice but we declined, we want to keep her at home where we can look after her. I’m on the edge literally, how much longer!
It’s amazing how they manage to keep going when there literally nothing other than skin & bone. I can’t get the vision of mum out of my head either.
I hope her passing is a peaceful as my mums was, she literally just drifted off. We had been expecting it for a few weeks too, her last two weeks were in the hospice - due to her not allowing the carers or any of usa to care for her any more, just 4.5 stone, with a will & determination of steel!
After 8 weeks I still can’t believe she’s actually gone.

Jane3

Aug 29, 2023
we are in the same position, almost exactly the same time scale, mum is in a NH and I am struggling so much, I am in awe of your ability to look after your mum at home.
Like you I am astounded that mums frail tiny body can go on for so long.
I hope they will both have peace soon.

Muggers

Mar 18, 2024
we are in the same position, almost exactly the same time scale, mum is in a NH and I am struggling so much, I am in awe of your ability to look after your mum at home.
Like you I am astounded that mums frail tiny body can go on for so long.
I hope they will both have peace soon.
Bless you, it is a comfort knowing I am not the only one going through this, it’s still a lonely path to walk on, so today we sit and we wait, I will hold her hand, stroke her cheek and tell her it’s all ok.
Love and hugs to you and yours x

Sterlingtimes

Aug 5, 2022
I am in a similar position with my mother, age 95. Essentially, after a succession of minor falls, her legs failed her, leading to hospitalisation on 10 March. She returned home at the start of April for 4 days before returning to the hospital.

She is now unable to leave her bed or straighten her legs. She is a "bag of bones" and eats close to nothing. She has had infections. She imagines that she is in prison and that her carers are exceptionally cruel. On morphine, she sleeps most of the time but is traumatised when she is momentarily lucid.

Her major organs continue to keep her alive.

Jane3

Aug 29, 2023
yes it is a comfort to hear from people in the same boat. Sterlingtimes is your mum back in hospital now,?
at least the morphine will keep her comfortable.
love to you both and thank you so much for posting

Sterlingtimes

Aug 5, 2022
yes it is a comfort to hear from people in the same boat. Sterlingtimes is your mum back in hospital now,?
at least the morphine will keep her comfortable.
love to you both and thank you so much for posting
Hello Jane3. Yes, my mother has been in hospital for 40 days, save for three intervening days at home. She has been on morphine for this period. NHS is arranging for Fast Track to a nursing home, but this is progressing slowly. She has rapidly declined physically and mentally, but I have no way of judging when the end will come. Do post to let us know here how matters progress.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`m so sorry all of you are in this void, wanting it to end but knowing the grief will not end with it.

Love to you all.

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
So sorry that you and your Mum are having to go through this, life is so so cruel sometimes.

Keeping you both in my thoughts, and if needed a hug. Take care

Jane3

Aug 29, 2023
these posts are a lifeline for me as I am on my own.
Sterlingtimes , I hope the morphine will give your mum some peace and allow her to pass peacefully. mum will sometimes wake with a start and be very confused and fearful of where she is. i can only hope it doesn't happen too often when I am not there to reassure her. She also says that she is fed up and once that she should be shot. I am glad that the fog of dementia descends most of the time leaving her unaware (hopefully) of what is going on.
again thank you for the posts

Jane3

Aug 29, 2023
I'm struggling so much with this limbo....it devastating to watch them just fade away.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I’m so sorry @Jane3 I imagine you are breathing every breath with your mum.

When my husband was dying I sat by his bed with my hand under the covers stroking his arm The carers told me to talk to him, saying hearing was the last sense to go but I couldn’t. All I could do was sit stroking his arm having no idea whether or not he knew I was there or got any comfort from my presence.

I can relive that even ten years later.

Muggers

Mar 18, 2024
This was six months ago xx

Attachments

• IMG_1306.jpeg
    IMG_1306.jpeg
    159.8 KB · Views: 38

Jane3

Aug 29, 2023
just wanted to check in with you , sending you love ......you have the strength in spades xx