The Health Minister asserts that people with AD are entitled…

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
Clive said:
Hi Noelphobic

Just picked up on another posting you made on 3 Feb in another thread where you said your mum was in middle band nursing care..

May I ask is that because she is in a nursing home rather than a EMI residential home?
And is the middle band nursing care for things other than Alzheimer’s?
And does that reduce the bill from the Home?

Thanks

Hi Clive

My mum spent a year in an EMI residential home and during that time she did not receive any nursing care payments towards her fees. While she was in that home she broke her hip and sadly did not regain her mobility and is now wheelchair bound. After some weeks in hospital she went into a nursing home and was then assessed and put on the middle band of nursing care. She also has Parkinson's disease and epilepsy (although these pre-date the broken hip). However, the fact that she gets the nursing care payment doesn't actually help financially because nursing home fees are more expensive than residential home fees anyway!

Brenda

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
Clive said:
Hi Noelphobic.

I did not mean I thought you had put the link forward as a commercial advert. I was complementing you on your sophisticated thought process that linked my concerns with what another poster was writing in another thread. As a moderator you are reading far more threads than those of us who just have time to dip in. To cross fertilise the various threads by “advertising” is very valuable for us. Please keep doing it even if you call it something else.

Hi Clive

I know you didn't seriously mean it as an advert, so don't know why I said that really! Not sure that I have any sophisticated thought processes but I'll take that as a compliment :eek:

Brenda

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
jenniferpa said:
Part of the problem, I think, is that although we talk about the NHS as one entity, as far as I can see in fact these decisions are left up to the local trust to deal with. They are "supposed" to have criteria that is "supposed" to conform to policy, but each battle has to be lauched against a specific trust.

Jennifer

They were supposed to be standardising the criteria for all PCTs but I don't know when that is supposed to happen. I also read that when they road tested these criteria there were some people who were already on continuing care funding who would have had it withdrawn :eek:

As far as the 3 bands of nursing care go then I can imagine there are similar problems. I think this thread is possibly causing some confusion amongst the two types of funding - or is that just me :confused:

I had thought that if my mum was to qualify for continuing care then it would be more likely if she was on the highest band for nursing care. However, in theory I don't think there is anything to stop someone 'leap frogging' from middle band to fully funded care.