The beginning of the end?

Margaret79

May 11, 2010
Wisbech, Cambridgeshire
Spoke too soon, just after I posted MIL became evry agitated and was trying to climb out of the bed :eek::eek:. District nurse called and she was here in about 20 mins. It was one who came before when MIL had frostbite. I also think she's a lead nurse.

So supportive - at last someone who just concentrated on MIL and me :D:D. She gave her something for the agitation and also some diamorphine as we're not sure if she's in pain. Once MIL had calmed down nurse also helped me to wash her, change the bed and her pj top.

She said she would get them to fill in the fast track forms on Monday and will refer us the the Arthur Rank Hospice who do night sits. Hoorah, at last someone who can see what needs doing. It probably helps that we had seen her before and she knows "our story".

I had a nice soak in the bath til the flipping neighbor behind us started up his chainsaw :eek::eek: Now waiting for Himself to come back from the shops and I am going to take Millie for a gentle walk down the lane to stretch her legs. Poor thing only got to bimble round our field in the past 2 days. Mind you with only a few days now til she gives birth I'm sure she doesn't want to go far. Think it'll do us both good to be out even for 15 mins.

Not sure if I'm tempting fate by saying it but MIL settled now. So lovely to be able to come on here and share our journey. I don't have the energy to speak or even text everyone who's been in contact and I know I can reach out to so many in one go here.

Thank you all for continuing to hold my hand, it means so much xxx

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
We wish we could be there in reality to help you. Stay strong and keep posting. We are all indeed holding your hand. X

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Your posts bring so much back to me...The sitting reading my Kindle, wipe her mouth, playing Candy Crush,a glance over to Mum and then Facebooking and TPing too.... while the Girls ( carers) turned her or cleaned her...a trip to the Dining Room to make a cup of coffee, another stroke of her hair...another prayer "How long Lord?"....a text to my sister, my cousin, my daughter, my Aunt....." Just let go Mum". Home again to wash the dishes talk to the dog, my OH. her friends...... and back to her bedside again...." Just me Mum"....
I wish I could share it with you and for you so that you could sit and talk to Millie about how clever she is. Then you could give OH a hug and tell him he's being brave...a trip to the loo, a chocolate biscuit and back to the bedside.....
Oh the waiting....x.x.x.

Margaret79

May 11, 2010
Wisbech, Cambridgeshire
That's so it Maureen!

Just got up from a couple of hours kip to find out that joy of joys Hospice at Home called and we have someone coming to sit tonight from 10-7 and she will assess the situation and make recommendations for future night sits :D:D:D A whole night to sleep woop woop :D:D

MIL had a few teaspoons of ice cream and a teaspoon of liquid, in last half hour and seems settled again.

The journey continues ...

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
That is so good Margaret that you will get a whole night to sleep without MIL needing you. Great news. Xxxx

jknight

Oct 23, 2015
Hampshire
Margaret, went through this with my dad (cancer, not dementia. Mum now has dementia) it's a horrible time. Holding your hand every step of the way xxx

Margaret79

May 11, 2010
Wisbech, Cambridgeshire
This sleep stuff is a bit addictive!! Had a wondeful lady from Arthur Rank Hospice night sitting last night. I slept for 6 and a half hours :D:D. Once she'd gone at 7.15am I went back to bed for another 2 and a half hours :D:D

Invisible BIL came on Friday and very kindly phoned at 10pm last night to see how she was :mad::mad::mad:

Been like Picadilly station here this morning. 2 carers were washing her when I got up, then the DN turned up, we agreed that she would give midazolam for agitation and diamorphine just in case she was in pain.

An hour later another DN turned up to fill in the Fast track CHC form, whilst she was here the community nurse from the surgery pitched up. We had a discussion about a syringe driver and they both agreed that it was a good idea so they have sorted that out now.

Hopefully she'll be a lot more settled now. I feel so much more supported today, and of course having some sleep has helped. Such a shame that weekends can get in the way of support when it is needed at this stage.

We learnt about dementia "on the job" but we're in another ball game now that I really have no knowledge of so need the nurses guidance and help. It's been very scary at points over the weekend but I have spent some lovely times with her just looking into my eyes and then she'd seem to talk to someone over my shoulder that I couldn't see.

MIL was a teacher and has certainly taught me a lot about all sorts in the past six and a half years, and is still doing so.

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
Good news Margaret. Let others do the donkey work and you can focus on the others bits. Your love for her shines brightly in your posts. Still holding your hand. Xx quilty

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
So please Margaret79, a good night's sleep and the peace of mind that having someone there with you who understands and knows how to support your MIL and you, make so much difference
wishing you all a peaceful night

Margaret79

May 11, 2010
Wisbech, Cambridgeshire
How's this for fast track ... forms faxed at 3.30pm and we had a call at 5pm to say they have awarded it. We should get two carers four times a day and night sitters every night :D:D

Now we just have to see how long it takes them to find the staff to put this into action but there's light on the horizon :D:D

Soon I'll have nothing to do! Ah well once Millie has her puppies I may just have to sit and cuddle puppies all day :D:D:D

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
Thank God ( and i truly mean that with respect) that the care system worked eventually. You deserve every hand helping so please rest and let them cope. I am so happy you have hospice at home. I had this for my Dad and it was such a wonderful thing. A small light in the dark. Lots of love Quilty

Margaret79

May 11, 2010
Wisbech, Cambridgeshire
MIL had a peaceful night, the syringe driver is making a difference, she is much more relaxed and not at all agitated. I slept til 5 which was good. Having the Hospice at Home sitters is a godsend.

Millie (our very pregnant chocolate labrador) picked at her breakfast this morning which is very unlike her so maybe we are in the very early stages of labour :D:D

Raining, foggy and miserable here at the moment, hopefully it will brighten up soon. Off for a soak in the bath before the endless stream of visitors begins,