The bad news goes on and on. How much more?

pippin_fort

Sep 8, 2010
Moved my Dad to his 3rd home since 5th ay last Friday. It was a total nightmare as many of you will have read. On the Saturday he did not get up at all and did not leave his room. On Sunday when I went to pick him up he was not in his room. Marvellous I thought. He was having a coffe in the dining room. Hooray hooray but no. Since then he has not got up at all during the day and is spending the nights awake. I went today to try and get him to have a shower. He has not had one for 5 weeks.

When I arrived at 11.30am he had not had his breakfast and the one member of staff that I eventually found said that he was asleep. I went to his room and sure enough he was in bed. I instructed the carer to get him some breakfast flung the curtains open and eventually got him up. He had mismatching pyjamas on, the bottoms of which were not only the wrong way round but were stained. The bed sheet alaso needed changing. He eventually put his dressing gown on after about an hour coaxing him and we went to the shower room. When he got there he just panicked and went straight back to his room. he then locked himself in the toilet for a bit. When he emerged despite me standing in the way for a while he was insistent on getting back into bed.

Finally after trying all sorts I just gave up. He fell asleep and I went home and cried. What have I done to him? He is safe, but not clean and not eating regularly and they are so worried about letting him settle in it seems to me that they are just letting him get his body clock totally around the wrong way and he is therefore interacting less tha he was previously. I feel totally hopeless. If this does not work I have run out of alternatives, but I was far from impressed by what I saw today.

I will have to say something, but I fear that I cannot be too forthright in case they just throw him out again. He is a sweet affectionate man who is unwell. Why will no one help him? He is a big strong man but would not hurt a flea. I feel so down I keep crying again today. I am totally worn out.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hello
Im so sorry to hear this .
All I can suggest is speak to the manger
I would be most unhappy and angry too

All you want is good caring care, where your dad will be safe, comfortable and properly looked after this is not too much to ask and should be the norm in every home not just for the lucky few

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I am so sorry to read of the trouble you are having. I agree that something has to be done as the situation is doing none of you any good. I seems wrong that the staff don't
have some srategies to handle these situations. I mean. they are supposed to be the experienced ones. Do they not receive training for handling people with Dementia? I seems, fat too aften, not.

I agree with Lin that the Manager, or senior nurse, is the only person who can make sure something is happening to address your concerns. I feel such sympathy for you. I do hope you have an upturn soon.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello Pippin:
I am so sorry to hear about your Dad's third move - how difficult for you as well as disorientating for him.

Please give it time as I am sure the carers need to get to know and understand your Dad and he needs to feel secure with them - its still early days.

Maybe you should talk to the senior Carer/Nurse and explain your worries. It will alert them to your Dad's needs and also start a relationship between you and the carers. If your Dad is presently appearing to be uncooperative they may be leaving him rather than distress him further.

I truly hope the situation improves and your Dad becomes more settled.

Best wishes

Goingitalone

Feb 11, 2010
Hi Pippin,

I've been thinking of you and wondering how things are going.

Is your Dad settling any better?

Hope so.

Hugs

Maggie

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grandaughtercare