tenants in common


Registered User
Sep 26, 2005
east sussex
I need some advice about becoming Tenants in Common. I believe that if a home is in joint ownership. husband and wife. If one dies and the remaining one is in a home all the money from the family home is liable to be considered for home care fees. Does anyone know if it is easy to change to t in c when you have a poa in place which is also registered with court of protection?



Registered User
Jan 31, 2004
near London
I simply asked my solicitor - a family friend - to arrange the change when we had the EPA done.

I don't believe it is necessary to have the permission of the spouse to do it.

As far as I know, it is easily done - try ringing the Alzheimer's society Help line and ask for the legal person, who will take you through the relevant steps.

It was just so easily done!


Registered User
Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
It is a very simple procedure and has several advantages.
You do not need the permision of the spouse.
Our FA did the whole procedure for us

yvonne j

Registered User
Mar 1, 2007
Hampshire uk
It is essential to do. By splitting to tennants in common, the wills of each can leave their share to children, so if A dies their share goes to children, not the surviving partner and so can not be taken into account for fees. My solicitor said I did have to get permission from the spouse. If you do not, then that makes it easier, but it is essential to do.