tax relief for carers


Registered User
Apr 18, 2008
I have a part time job and pay carers to come in and look after my wife whilst i'm at work.
Could anyone tell me if it is possible to claim tax relief on the money that i pay to the carers please.
Thank you.


Registered User
Feb 17, 2006
I have never heard of that happening, but may be some else has .

Have you seek out advice from organisations like the CAB and Age Concern to get help with claiming benefits like Attendant allowance or disability allowance ?


Registered User
Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello diggit4..

...I don't know either...

You could phone your tax office and ask them..they're usually helpful...honestly...:) It could depend on the amount of hours you much you earn..etc.

I wondered if you are claiming Carers' Allowance ?

To be honest the Benefits System/Tax System is so complicated these days your best bet is to go directly to them and ask their advice.

Sorry not to be more helpful..:eek:

Let us know how you get on.

Love gigi xx


Registered User
Feb 3, 2009
Hi Diggit4,

I've just had a poke around the HMRC website and can't find anything on tax relief on care for adults.

The website is

This site contains links to find your nearest tax office - I agree that contacting them directly is the best option. Have your National Insurance number ready if poss, it will speed things up!

Good luck, and let us know how you get on, unless anyone can supply the answer :)

Vonny xx


Registered User
Apr 18, 2008
Tax Relief on Money paid to Carers

I recently posted a thread inquiring if it was possible to claim tax relief paid to sitters or carers whilst i am at work.
I have since been in touch with the inland revenue regarding this point, the answer was a definate no, no discussion or conversation just NO.
Thank you to all who answered my thread for your suggestions.



Registered User
Jun 26, 2008
This is really winging it, but if you are self-employed, what about arguing that the having the sitters in place is a neccesary condition for you to be able to go to work (and thus pay tax in the first place) - and thus a legit business expense.

I don't think you have a snowballs chance, but if you do set a precedent.....


Registered User
Jun 27, 2006
I know it's not the same issue, but it always bugged me that my mother had to pay tax on the interest that her savings raised (savings which came from taxed income) and STILL didn't get tax relief when it came to using that money to pay for carers. It's particular annoying since there is a recognition in the tax code that if you are blind you may have more outgoings and the tax code reflects that, but nothing for other disabilities.