Talked down to.

Tangled

Oct 10, 2014
Last week I had a medical appointment (unrelated to memory) and was spoken to like I was a naughty child one minute and a half wit the next. Worse, I could not argue with them or defend myself because I can't think on my feet any more and I hadn't known these issues were going to be discussed (the appointment was for something else). It has left me feeling very depressed and angry and, above all, scared for the future. Is this what is left for me?

I know they were wrong. I know they were covering their backs because I could have made a formal complaint about their previous behaviour. They were absolute bullies, browbeating and demanding that I agree with them. In the end, I had to, just to get it to stop.

At this stage, I've only been diagnosed with mild cognitive impairment and most people are unaware that there's a problem with recall. I'm currently undergoing psychological tests, etc.

The incident has left me with a need to end things. I refuse to move into a world where I can be bullied and bludgeoned in this way by people who should be caring for me.

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Tangled,

I'm so sorry, and angry on your behalf, that you were treated in this way. I have to say that some medics can talk down to us mere mortals, dementia or no dementia.

You are quite right that this kind of attitude has no place in a so called caring profession. I would consider making a formal complaint, and in the future make sure that you are accompanied to appointments by a friend or relative.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
I agree with Sue and think this treatment is dreadful. I see from an earlier post that you have a good team around your for your mental health issues. Would it help if your talked to that team about the way you have been treated by the others?

If you feel really low about things it may help you to ring the Emotional Listening Service. Its run by the Samaritans and are specially helpful for those who feel in despair or depressed

You can find your local branch here by typing in your postcode, town or area. Many branches offer facilities for you to come in and talk to a volunteer face-to-face if you find it easier. Check your local branch information to see if it offers this service. It's best to phone ahead to make sure a volunteer is definitely available, and to let them know you are coming.

Phone: 08457 90 90 90 (open 24 hours, seven days a week, all year round)

Email: jo@samaritans.org

Welcome to Talking Point by the way and I hope you find some support here.
Best wishes

Tangled

Oct 10, 2014
I had considered a complaint but it's so difficult to think straight lately let alone write it all out.

Thank you for your replies, it's very comforting.