Taking mum, 93 with Alzheimer's on holiday

Mary Em

Mar 25, 2017
Any ideas help with taking mum on a short break to the sea?
She continually asks to have a holiday. I genuinely feel she wants to have a holiday but my sister and I are uneasy about it althou gh last year we did have a hotel break for 3 days. I think this year a hotel is risky , so we are looking at self catering . She is very demanding and it would be nice if we had support. Or assistance. We are also dreading the journey which could be up to 3 hours ?
Her sense of time is awful, and she gets quite impatient .
Should we risk it at all? I feel so guilty ( here we go again...me and my guilt!) That she is couped up in a home which she has not accepted at all plus her two cruel daughters won't organise a holiday for her.!!!

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
How about a weekend trip? 7 days or more with a PWD acting up, repeating endlessly or complaining Might be too much for you all to bear. My husband and I loved to travel and were good travelling companions but a 7 day trip to France in 2014 finished it for me.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
There are companies like Revitalise that do assisted holidays for people with dementia and their carers in three UK centres but they ar expensive and only have three Alzheimer's weeks a year - the next one is coming up in September or October. The usual length is a week though you can book for three days only.

However, from everything you say here and on your other thread, I think you might not achieve anything other than huge stress for yourself and your mother. She's evidently not happy, and I don't see how a holiday interrupting her routine is going to help with that. You have no reason to feel guilty - don't give in to it.

Last edited:

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Many people with dementia do not understand the reason for their confusion and assume it is because of where they are living, so they think that if they go somewhere else they will leave it all behind. So they want to move, go home (where ever that is!) move into a little flat on their own, go and live with relatives, go out every day, or go on holiday.

From your other thread I think that this is what your mum is doing. She desperately wants to leave all the confusion of her dementia behind, not understanding (and will never be able to understand) that she will simply bring all the problems with her.