Sue

bottlebrush

Jul 7, 2016
My brother was diagnosed with young onset Alzheimer's in April. He is 63.
He has been in a secure mental health hospital ward for two months- he was unable to stay in a care home due to continually trying to get out and inappropriate sexual behaviour to staff and other residents. At the hospital the staff are trying to adjust his medication but there is no stimulation for his brain- staff don't have time or there are no facilities available it's so frustrating.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Welcome to TP...

Early onset Alzheimer's is so difficult because it's so much a minority issue.

I personally only have experience of a friends husband with EOD and he is still living at home, I'm sorry that so far no one has come up with a care plan.

I do hope you get some support soon.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi bottlebrush
a warm welcome from me too
I too hope your brother will get the right support to enable him to settle more
however hard it is to see him in the unit, he is in the right place to be supervised as he needs to be and for meds to be tweaked to help him - I appreciate that's easy for others to say, when you and your brother are actually living through this
I wonder whether the unit keep stimulation to the minimum for a reason - my dad's in a care home and at times needs to be on his own in his room, very quiet, as noise and the presences of others just overwhelms him - at those times I merely sit still with him and maybe play some of his favourite soothing music; anything else makes him anxious and agitated
if you feel this isn't the case with your brother, maybe chat with the staff and see if you can come up with ideas that will work in the unit, maybe some puzzle books, speaking books if he doesn't want to read, those colouring books for adults ... apologies if this sounds patronising
best wishes to you both

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fraoch