Sudden mood changes

Wifey1

Sep 27, 2022
1 minute peacefully watching television in the evening about 9, then suddenly, very agitated, then went up into bedroom. Getting clothes out of wardrobe and throwing them around, not knowing what he is looking for. Shouting, cross. This lasts for about 10 minutes, then suddenly, It's arms out, looking for a hug. My reaction to this, unfortunately, was not good. I got very annoyed with him, which didn't help the situation. Does anybody else go through this? I just don't know what the trigger is, but it's happening frequently. Any advice?

My Mum's Daughter

Feb 8, 2020
There are usually signs that agitation is about to start but these can be very small and difficult to spot. With Mum, it usually begins with her gripping on to something but I expect that others are different. If you can learn to spot these signs and deal with them before they escalate then you'll be able to stop him well before he leaves the room. This is not easy, you'll have to watch him closely every evening until you recognise what starts this agitation.
Next step is to learn a technique to sooth him, use your familiar voice, hold his hand and gently stroke may help or maybe use distraction.
It's time consuming but time spent on this now, will help as the dementia progresses.

Wifey1

Sep 27, 2022
There are usually signs that agitation is about to start but these can be very small and difficult to spot. With Mum, it usually begins with her gripping on to something but I expect that others are different. If you can learn to spot these signs and deal with them before they escalate then you'll be able to stop him well before he leaves the room. This is not easy, you'll have to watch him closely every evening until you recognise what starts this agitation.
Next step is to learn a technique to sooth him, use your familiar voice, hold his hand and gently stroke may help or maybe use distraction.
It's time consuming but time spent on this now, will help as the dementia progresses.
Thank you, I will observe carefully, hope I can spot and prevent these episodes.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sophieb28